New to the site! And I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audetterrr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5g tank for my Betta fish. Over the past couple days he has grown ill and doesn't show signs of improving..help me revive my little love!!:fish1:

Is the betta's 5 gallon filtered and heated? If it's filtered, what filter specifically and what media?

Do you test your water? What is your pH and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Can you describe what's wrong with your fish in detail? What makes you think it's sick?

It is filtered and heated. He lays on his side and darts up only for air, he won't eat, he has a stringy thing coming from his belly, and his head looks grayish. I have not tested the pH. I gave him a 75% water change yesterday and some ick medication. But now I don't think he has ick. I also got him some brine shrimp (his fav food) to see if that will make him eat.

White or clear stringy poo is usually a sign of internal parasites. You shouldn't have treated with ich medication. That'll kill your biofilter, which it probably already has, and put you in a far worse position than you started in.

If you really care about the betta you can try something like Levamisole. Honestly though, if the fish is this far gone, it's not worth it IMO.

I'd let the fish pass away, add a few drops of bleach to the tank, let that run for a couple of days, then dump all the water out, pour fresh water in, lots of dechlorinator (on account of the bleach) and start over.

Either re-cycle the tank (which you're going to have to do after using ich meds anyways) or get some cycled filter media from somebody and stuff it in your filter between the cartridge and the filter wall.

What if I put a new filter in, sterilize his tank or put him in his 2.5g backup tank that also has filter and put a medication that helps with internal parasites?

What if I put a new filter in, sterilize his tank or put him in his 2.5g backup tank that also has filter and put a medication that helps with internal parasites?

Is the other tank cycled?
Has it had fish in it for more than a month and been holding fish recently with the filter running constantly through the whole time? If you put him in an uncycled tank that could finish him off.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying here. Adding a new filter is irrelevant. You want the fish cured and the parasites gone. Or you want the fish dead and the parasites gone. The fish sounds too far gone to save. Levamisole will add an additional level of stress to the fish on top of what is already happening. Leave him in his tank and treat with levamisole (you'll want to soak his food in it too... if he'll eat. If he won't eat, its super unlikely you can cure the parasites at all).

Or, let the fish die, or just put it out of its misery, and bleach the tank and filter and heater etc to kill any remaining parasites.

I honestly suggest cutting your losses and starting over. Why spend money on medication when it's probably too late to save the fish?

The extra tank I have has had no other fish in it other than my betta. But it hasn't been running for awhile. I guess the only thing to do is to let him die and start new. Thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom