New to the site, and to plants, but not new to fish :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeeplassie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm so glad this site is here. I have had fish all my life but there are so many new (to me) and exciting things out there to learn!
I only have small tanks because of the time limits I have to take care of them; plus, I am lazy. I won't lie.

I tend to like the more aggressive fish. Oscars are some of my all time favorites. Of course I never have them and usually settle for guppies. I have this routine that I just noticed I do a year ago. I will get a tank, get some fish..have it for a little while, maybe a year or two. Then I will decide thats it I'm tired of taking care of it and get rid of it. But then a few months later I want fish so I start over again. I am hoping to break this cycle!
So far so good :)

So I have this tiny little 1g on my desk, with a tiny power filter, hang on type, a light that is so low its almost worthless, and a heater. I want to put my betta in it because he is just so beautiful and I want him closer so I can stare at him longer. I know its too small though...or is it?

I am trying this aquascaping thing. I love the look of plants, but have never tried them. So I randomly and without any clue put some in my tanks. I guess I figure if they live then well cool! I tend to kill all plants outside of the tank so maybe my green thumb is under the water. But then I start researching...yes I know I should have researched beforehand....and see words like fertilizer and Co2 and light levels and soil (under water?!?) and think to myself....crap what did I get myself into? I bought all these plants just to kill them. So now I guess I will see if I can help the little fellers out. I don't like masacres.

Welcome to AA! :)

In my opinion a 1G is too small for a betta, but some may disagree. For easy plants, look for java moss, java fern, anubias,crypts, watersprite, etc. They should do ok under minimal lighting. Unless you are running good lighting (non-stock), there will be no reason to concern yourself with CO2 or ferts.

Thanks! Yea I think its too small as well.
The plants I have in the 6g are a sword plant, golden ribbon, kyoto grass, umbrella plant, aqua fern, peacock fern, and some random moss the lady at the store didn't know what it was, except that it was not java moss. I don't really like it though because it breaks up really easy and has gotten everywhere. I have tried to contain it on driftwood with small success. It still breaks apart just way too easy. Oh and some duckweed.
The 1g has the two ferns, umbrella plant, and golden ribbon plant.
All the plants are small, only about 4 inches for now.

You may have trouble with the sword longterm. The pond snails won't eat live plants, but will feed on decaying matter, extra food, etc. I find them beneficial and keep them in every tank I can.

Welcome to the site...
img_993345_0_9d250f240c9f2c6aa31924497c7e2a7d.gif

Thank you for the welcomes!

ok I will keep the snails then. I have always used them in the past to help clean my tank, but again never had live plants before so wasn't sure.

Back
Top Bottom