Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Read the article I suggested first, and then we'll talk more about the cycle.

Also, tell me the plan for buying rock. How much and what type?That'll help us recommend cycling techniques depending on the rock you get and whether it's cured or uncured.

Edited: I just saw your last post. Thought there was nothing in the tank at first. Now there is??

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nickbme06
The 55gal tank was orig a freshwater setup, but the previous owners did a good job cleaning it all out. the tubes are pretty cleaned up and the filter and rock in the magnum is all new. Do i have to do anythign to these before starting with the saltwater? Is the magnum and biowheels ok for the setup im looking for with FOWLR? and possible move to coral down the road? Should i seel the magnum setup and get just a protien skimmer?? im a little confused on that, i though the skimmer was just for cleaning purposes etc and the filter and biofilter actually cleaned the water with the bacteria that resides on the filters?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post

Edited: I just saw your last post. Thought there was nothing in the tank at first. Now there is??
Well, right this second, i have nothing in the tank. I have to clean it out and fill it with water. The question im having is whether or not i should start with rock or just cycle with just water.

EDIT: ohh. you meant me saying dirty and "stuff". no i just meant dirty =) and it isnt bad, but i know i need to do a wipedown as its been in their storage.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

good read. ok. think ill follow those directions, but i want to try to find the ammonia without the additives vs. using a decomposing shrimp, in my living room =)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...cle/Page1.html
Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lots of questions pending.... Def read the articles on this site

SAND - No need to vaccume sand.. You will eventually get yourself a clean up crew (CUC) that will take care of that for you.

LR - When you buy your LR (especially online) it's going to be Uncured. This means that in order to add it to your tank, you need to Cure it. Curing just means Cycling it. Your goign to need it anyway.. so why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and cycle your tank and Cure your Rock at the same time.

also.. I see no problems saving some $$ and getting a mix of LR and Base Rock.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, so if i get uncured live rock (is it cheaper or something?) and use half that and half base rock, lay my sand down (what type of sand is the best?)(should i get live or regular sand), start up the cycling with ammonia and 7 weeks later abo, i should have live sand, live rock and be ready to put in fish once temps are stable.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just found out theres a place that may be a lot cheaper here in town that sells live rock. Unsure if its cured or not, but if i can get cured, is it better to start with that, or does it really matter in my scenario? im assuming its best to get cured already when you have an already cycled tank and just want to put it in the water and be done, correct me if im wrong
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Cylce with rock if you can. I'd have the sand in place, the rock, and maybe a cocktail shrimp (in the article!! ). So, tell me the plan for the rock. How much and what kind?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

my friend originally put the pics up when the tank was still at his place fo rme to look at. So only diff is its at my place now. Tell me what you think. Is this going to be enough "power" for my setup im aiming for? Im goign to add the 3x 50w heaters and also to 50 power heads. Thinking abotu the protien skimmer, but thats something i havent read on yet.

Kodakgallery.com*Slideshow
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

hehe, i hear yah on the shrimp (and i read!). May just add a shrimp in there for the h3ll of it.. but im still gonna try to located some ammonia in a bottle.

Rock. Im looking toward 1# per gallon, so 55#'s of rock. 20# live rock, 35# Base rock. I guess ima go up to this store here at lunch and see what they got, then make a decision on type of sand and wether or not im going to buy online or not.

Then i gotta go home tonight and do a wipe down on the tank and hood and biowheel housng, etc. Any suggestions on solution to clean with?

Tags
55 gallon, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com