New to the site, New to Saltwater, aquired 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skip the ammonia in the bottle IMO. No need at all. Just get the ammoinia and nitrite test kit to monitor your cycle's effectiveness and duration.

Clean with vinigar and rinse well.

Sand shipped would prolly cost ya more than the cheaper price you'll be counting on. Heavy stuff ya know.

Tank / Stand look great...

Cured just means that they are already loaded with the good bacteria needed to convert Ammonia to Nitrites/Nitrates. So yes, tank would be cycled already.. However, I would leave them in the tank for a week or so and test the water just to be safe. Again.. the dead shrimp would be a good idea.. If you add the shrimp, and like a week later still no Ammonia, then you know the bacteria on the LR is sufficient enough to handle the bio-load of the rotting shrimp. If you get ammonia, then you just need some time for a mini cycle.

Gothca. So just adding the 30% LR is just going to speed up my cycling, because i doubt 30% will be enough for the load im predicting... Ill prob do the sand (not live), 70% Base rock and 30% Live Rock and do a shrimp or 2 (i can use royal reds down here, heh) and start testin to watch for completed cycle. Ok, so no ammonia, just shrimp, gotcha.

So use white vinegar and wipe it down? How thoroughly rinsed should it get? right now its in my apartment and im doing everything by hand (ie. no water hose available)

Whats ideas on my filteration/power heads and thoughts on skimming?

Whats ideas on my filteration/power heads and thoughts on skimming?

Well.. Since you have them you could probably put them to use.. I'm not familiar with the bio-wheels or the canaster either.. Some others will help you there. I just use LR and a skimmer

for the skimmer.. If you plan to add a sump, you have more options..if not, you will need a HOB style skimmer.

Hey thanks for that info! Im going to start looking into that before i actually buy the rock and sand.

OK. My first problem with my freshwater tank.... Just got home for lunch and did my daily tests i have been doing of all the levels and my pH is reading 6.0. well it culd be less, because thats all my test does too, but its very light yellow... yesterday it was 7.2 and has been. one time went to 7.3 bu then back to 7.2... dont knwo what happend now. i guess all these water changes maybe?? i dont knwo much about pH yet except i knwo it needs to be 7.2 lol. Ok, im going to run to strore i found out about and see what type of rock they have available and pricing. I going to pick up a bottle of pH UP i guess, ,to try to save the fish.....

Ok i went to fish store and they said to stop changing out the water even if the ammonia gets high that im stalling the cycling, which makes sense, but im trying to save the fish, lol. ok, well i guess thats why the pH is down then.. I didnt buy any pH UP. Guy said just let it be. Ill start feeding them less. Lady told me to do just every other day.. i have been twice a day, but i have been making sure they eat it all..

They have Live rock, cured, for $6 a pound over 10#'s and base rock for $3 a pound.. Going to check out this other store when i get off thats in town and see what thier prices are like first.

Any suggestions for me to look into for a HOB skimmer? Do you suggest i keep the magnum and biowheels setup or just use a skimmer?

This post is really confusing now. Nothing in the tank? But you're trying to save the fish during the cycle you say?????

You talking about both SW and FW tanks in the same post????? I'm too confused and can't offer much help.

This post is really confusing now. Nothing in the tank? But you're trying to save the fish during the cycle you say?????

You talking about both SW and FW tanks in the same post????? I'm too confused and can't offer much help.

Agreed.. LOL

Hey.. How about two new posts in the Getting Started sections(SW and FW)

Yeah the saltwater project (55gal) has nothing in it. im working on that project in planing right now.

The other posts on the stuff going on with pH is my 10 gallon freshwater that im cycling (2 weeks old).

Sorry for the confusion. I was goign to split them up in their on threads in the right place but we all started talking here, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom