New to the site, wanting to set up a 520g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatZelda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, all. I just joined the site in hopes of getting some advice on setting up our old 520g aquarium. It's just been sitting in our basement for years and I wanted to do something with it. My plan was to do a lightly to moderately planted tank (sword plants, anubias, maybe some java ferns) with a white substrate/gravel and some driftwood (and maybe some rocks). I would like to stock it with a fairly large school of cardinal tetras and maybe six discus.

My questions to this are:
How expensive is it usually to heat 520 gallons to an appropriate temperature for the above fish?
I read somewhere that discus require weekly water changes of at least 50%. If I keep the tank understocked (and I intend to as it would be much easier to maintain at this size), do I really have to do that much?

Note: I don't plan to put the discus in until I've had the tank running for at least a year.

For heating I consider the tank to be a room heater and thus neutral (this argument continues at home....).

For discus I've only looked at these but agree it will depend on stocking, plants, etc. But I do ~30% pwc weekly normally for 150gal and for grown discus will be looking at same.

Back
Top Bottom