Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
New to the this hobby and I have lots of questions!

Hi everyone, I bought my first personal tank last week. It is only a 10 gallon. Wish I would have done more research before getting because I would have got a 20 gallon to start. I used to care for a 55 gallon tank, but I had no idea how much more there was to do. I started out with some kuhli loaches, a couple catfish, a tadpole, two kois and a pleco. I ended up with the two kois and pleco because of a few mistakes I made. Now I have my own tank and I am planning on getting 4 scarlet badis (if I can find them they seem pretty uncommon), 5 cherry barbs and two zebra otos (regular otos if I can't find those). I am also going to try and plant it with some water sprite, java moss and/or java fern.

My tank is currently cycling fishless and it feels like it's taking forever! Lol. My ammonia has remained at about 5ppm since I put it in 4 days ago. I know it takes time but I am super excited to get it all set up.

So I belong to another forum as well but it doesn't seem very active and it takes quite a while to get any feedback. I want to keep my tank in the best possible condition and give my fish a healthy life; I ask a lot of questions. I'm hoping this site is a little more friendly.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

well welcome to aa. first off. now did you add anything to you tank to help it cycle? what are your questions.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I added about two teaspoons of straight Ammonia to it 5 days ago, and I went and got the decorations from my other tank to try and get some bacteria circulating. I got the filter media as well but it is far too large to fit in my filter (30-60 fitler cartridge for a 5-15 filter). I'm not going to put all my questions here at once because that would be a long list. Lol.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok that was good on adding the decor. IMO i would add some food to help cycle. thats what i have done to all of my tanks. you could also add a bacteria supplement to help jump start things
Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could cut the media into smaller pieces and stick them in the filter.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks! good ideas
Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com