New to the tropical fish world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartosbartos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys just a new member here i have just started my aquarium and i have 10 gold barbs, 2 gourami's, 2 Angel fish, 3 Clown Loaches and a Bristnose catfish in my 90L Aqua One 620 tropical tank.

Im a pretty easy going person so if you got any advice or want to chat just pm me. Thanks.

welcome to the site. I suggest looking up the fish profiles for the different fish you are keeping. It looks like you are overstocked, so I would do a bit of research to get a better idea of what the eventual size and needs of the fish is going to be.

welcome to the site. I suggest looking up the fish profiles for the different fish you are keeping. It looks like you are overstocked, so I would do a bit of research to get a better idea of what the eventual size and needs of the fish is going to be.

yeah i know that i will eventually need to upgrade to a bigger tank but since i just bought this tank i thought i would just cut a few of the fish out and then slowly upgrade once i had a bit more experience but i would be open to suggestion of what to cut out of the tank.

jetajockey said:

+1 on overstocked! How many gallons is 90L do you know? (sorry I'm a silly American)...clown loaches can get huge! Most would suggest larger than 100g for those bad boys...also I'd watch out for the angels they can get aggressive! Other than that, welcome!! I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do :) everyone is really nice, and really want to help you be the most successful fish parent you can be :)

I'd say cut the clowns, and get either corydora catfish or maybe another kind of loach...the khulies are cool! And also are they dwarf gouramis? They get intimidated by aggressive fish...so just make sure they don't get stressed :)

+1 on overstocked! How many gallons is 90L do you know? (sorry I'm a silly American)...clown loaches can get huge! Most would suggest larger than 100g for those bad boys...also I'd watch out for the angels they can get aggressive! Other than that, welcome!! I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do :) everyone is really nice, and really want to help you be the most successful fish parent you can be :)

haha well you must be a nice american cause usually they dont call themselves silly. i think 90L is around 24 gallons or a bit under, yeah i have seen a few massive clown loaches but i figured that for now my tank would be ok for them since they are small and grow slow or is that the wrong way to be thinking ? Yeah i have heard angels are quite the stalkers and iv also seen them eating smaller tetras in the pet shops lol. I definately plan on buying a bigger tank once they all start growing and become to big. I was thinking of getting rid of some of the Barbs just to cut down on numbers but what do you think ? Thanks for the welcome !

I'd say cut the clowns, and get either corydora catfish or maybe another kind of loach...the khulies are cool! And also are they dwarf gouramis? They get intimidated by aggressive fish...so just make sure they don't get stressed :)

I only just bought my clowns :( the brave one of the group is definately my favourite though

haha well you must be a nice american cause usually they dont call themselves silly. i think 90L is around 24 gallons or a bit under, yeah i have seen a few massive clown loaches but i figured that for now my tank would be ok for them since they are small and grow slow or is that the wrong way to be thinking ? Yeah i have heard angels are quite the stalkers and iv also seen them eating smaller tetras in the pet shops lol. I definately plan on buying a bigger tank once they all start growing and become to big. I was thinking of getting rid of some of the Barbs just to cut down on numbers but what do you think ? Thanks for the welcome !

Whenever you get stocking advice, or consider stocking plans, always plan around the adult size of the fish. All I can really advocate is research research and more research. Get to know the ins and outs of everything in this hobby and it will reward you greatly, and your fish will thank you.

Whenever you get stocking advice, or consider stocking plans, always plan around the adult size of the fish. All I can really advocate is research research and more research. Get to know the ins and outs of everything in this hobby and it will reward you greatly, and your fish will thank you.

yeah i did read about the huge tank for the loaches and i went to the pet shop and asked and they were like na youll be right lol.

The reason you don't want to put a fish in to small of a tank is because it can stunt the growth of the fish, which in many instances will have detrimental affects on the fish :( we see it most often in common plecos...which need at least 125g, but are usually thrown into 20g

The reason you don't want to put a fish in to small of a tank is because it can stunt the growth of the fish, which in many instances will have detrimental affects on the fish :( we see it most often in common plecos...which need at least 125g, but are usually thrown into 20g

yeah the guy did try to sell me a pleco but i didnt really like the look of them. He did mention the size of the tank tells the fish how to grow and he said that if you change the water more often the chemical the fish releases to tell how big the tank is will be gone out of the water. Is this true ?

Hmmm...someone back me up here! I've never heard of a chemical, that a fish releases, to tell how big it should grow...but maybe I just don't know the biochemistry that well. Sounds ridiculous to me! You need to do water changes in order to remove toxins like nitrate and stuff...

Hmmm...someone back me up here! I've never heard of a chemical, that a fish releases, to tell how big it should grow...but maybe I just don't know the biochemistry that well. Sounds ridiculous to me! You need to do water changes in order to remove toxins like nitrate and stuff...

yeah beats me lol it all sounded like it made sense so i took the bait

Well I'm glad you're here! We will try and help as much as possible! Always ask questions, no matter how dumb you think they are...we are all learning, and all make mistakes :)

jetajockey said:
There's supposedly some kind of chemical, hormones I believe, that slow the growth of fish. I don't know much about it other than the conjecture that I've read.

Oh wow! I didnt know that! See we are all learning :)

Oh wow! I didnt know that! See we are all learning :)

the young guy i got the fish off at the pet shop must be addicted to fish and everything about them because he was rattling off random information and ingredients in fish food and chemicals and just all this crazy talk i had no idea about. I did learn bits and peices but it was alot to take in.

Haha...ya, that may also be a tactic to woo you into trusting him...so make sure you do all your research before you go in! ;)

Back
Top Bottom