Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Cartosbartos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: brissy
Posts: 114
New to the tropical fish world

Hello guys just a new member here i have just started my aquarium and i have 10 gold barbs, 2 gourami's, 2 Angel fish, 3 Clown Loaches and a Bristnose catfish in my 90L Aqua One 620 tropical tank.

Im a pretty easy going person so if you got any advice or want to chat just pm me. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Cartosbartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
welcome to the site. I suggest looking up the fish profiles for the different fish you are keeping. It looks like you are overstocked, so I would do a bit of research to get a better idea of what the eventual size and needs of the fish is going to be.
__________________

__________________
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Cartosbartos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: brissy
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
welcome to the site. I suggest looking up the fish profiles for the different fish you are keeping. It looks like you are overstocked, so I would do a bit of research to get a better idea of what the eventual size and needs of the fish is going to be.
yeah i know that i will eventually need to upgrade to a bigger tank but since i just bought this tank i thought i would just cut a few of the fish out and then slowly upgrade once i had a bit more experience but i would be open to suggestion of what to cut out of the tank.
__________________
Cartosbartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Joyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,218
Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
welcome to the site. I suggest looking up the fish profiles for the different fish you are keeping. It looks like you are overstocked, so I would do a bit of research to get a better idea of what the eventual size and needs of the fish is going to be.
+1 on overstocked! How many gallons is 90L do you know? (sorry I'm a silly American)...clown loaches can get huge! Most would suggest larger than 100g for those bad boys...also I'd watch out for the angels they can get aggressive! Other than that, welcome!! I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do everyone is really nice, and really want to help you be the most successful fish parent you can be
__________________
Joyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Joyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,218
Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
I'd say cut the clowns, and get either corydora catfish or maybe another kind of loach...the khulies are cool! And also are they dwarf gouramis? They get intimidated by aggressive fish...so just make sure they don't get stressed
__________________
Joyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Cartosbartos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: brissy
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyler View Post
+1 on overstocked! How many gallons is 90L do you know? (sorry I'm a silly American)...clown loaches can get huge! Most would suggest larger than 100g for those bad boys...also I'd watch out for the angels they can get aggressive! Other than that, welcome!! I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do everyone is really nice, and really want to help you be the most successful fish parent you can be
haha well you must be a nice american cause usually they dont call themselves silly. i think 90L is around 24 gallons or a bit under, yeah i have seen a few massive clown loaches but i figured that for now my tank would be ok for them since they are small and grow slow or is that the wrong way to be thinking ? Yeah i have heard angels are quite the stalkers and iv also seen them eating smaller tetras in the pet shops lol. I definately plan on buying a bigger tank once they all start growing and become to big. I was thinking of getting rid of some of the Barbs just to cut down on numbers but what do you think ? Thanks for the welcome !
__________________
Cartosbartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Cartosbartos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: brissy
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyler View Post
I'd say cut the clowns, and get either corydora catfish or maybe another kind of loach...the khulies are cool! And also are they dwarf gouramis? They get intimidated by aggressive fish...so just make sure they don't get stressed
I only just bought my clowns the brave one of the group is definately my favourite though
__________________
Cartosbartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartosbartos View Post
haha well you must be a nice american cause usually they dont call themselves silly. i think 90L is around 24 gallons or a bit under, yeah i have seen a few massive clown loaches but i figured that for now my tank would be ok for them since they are small and grow slow or is that the wrong way to be thinking ? Yeah i have heard angels are quite the stalkers and iv also seen them eating smaller tetras in the pet shops lol. I definately plan on buying a bigger tank once they all start growing and become to big. I was thinking of getting rid of some of the Barbs just to cut down on numbers but what do you think ? Thanks for the welcome !
Whenever you get stocking advice, or consider stocking plans, always plan around the adult size of the fish. All I can really advocate is research research and more research. Get to know the ins and outs of everything in this hobby and it will reward you greatly, and your fish will thank you.
__________________
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Cartosbartos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: brissy
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Whenever you get stocking advice, or consider stocking plans, always plan around the adult size of the fish. All I can really advocate is research research and more research. Get to know the ins and outs of everything in this hobby and it will reward you greatly, and your fish will thank you.
yeah i did read about the huge tank for the loaches and i went to the pet shop and asked and they were like na youll be right lol.
__________________
Cartosbartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Joyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,218
Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
The reason you don't want to put a fish in to small of a tank is because it can stunt the growth of the fish, which in many instances will have detrimental affects on the fish we see it most often in common plecos...which need at least 125g, but are usually thrown into 20g
__________________

__________________
Joyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tropical, tropical fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello everyone!! New here and to the fish world! Anakalia777 Member Introductions 8 03-22-2011 02:48 AM
Hello Fish world :D TheNamelessPoet Member Introductions 5 01-08-2009 10:15 PM
A world of fish WarOrks15 Midwest & the Dakotas 6 05-26-2006 10:35 PM
Jack Dempsey Vs. The World (world as meaning - tank) TerrellChris2k3 Cichlid Discussion 1 11-18-2003 08:31 AM
World of Fish Thaiboxer General Retailers 1 12-13-2002 06:22 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.