New to the website !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Precious_Scarface

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so heres the story i was working and wanted a pet so i bought 2 aquariums and fishes and a turtle my mom used to have a tank before so i knew what a needed to start the basic stuff i cycled my fish tank (29gallons) and first i bought 4 goldfishes and a columbian cat fish the shark one lol then i discovered that a columbian needed brakish water so i had to get rid of it and one fish died. Now the biggest goldfish is about 3" and heres the problem my boyfriend wanted piranhas so i bought 2 of them cause i know they cant be alone so i got 1 goldfish about 3" two about 2" and 2 piranhas about an inch and a half each in a little 29 gallon fishtank the ph an ammonia levels are all normal though but my water is pretty dirty i need help !!!

Thanks !!

:welcome: to AA! :)

Are you testing your water with strips? If so I would suggest an API Freshwater Test Kit that will give you pretty accurate results.

That tank was overstocked to begin with. A goldfish needs twenty gallons per fish and an extra ten gallons for every other fish. Pirhanas get massive and cannot live in the same temperature requirements as goldfish, and keeping them in that small of a tank will stunt them and seriously affect their health.

I use the test tubes (see pictures) and i know i got to seperate them but i only got one tank for them and the piranha dont attack the goldfish lol its actually surprising but they do eat alot of that tetrachiclid food at the beginning the two piranhas fought and one lost an eye but hes all good now we hand feed the piranhas and the goldfish they get pretty excited when me or my boyfriebd are close all of them

Attachments

• image-133953782.jpg
    image-133953782.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3553653316.jpg
    image-3553653316.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-4059977112.jpg
    image-4059977112.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2887411081.jpg
    image-2887411081.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 98
Well, it may be fine now, but soon the pirhanas will get massive (size of dinner plates) and pirhanas also need a huge school of like seven or eight minimum in about a 500 gallon tank (I have seen one before and it was at a zoo). I would suggest returning the fish now before it gets too late.

From what i heard they dont neee to be alot depending in how they react if they are too scared thats when they need more friends and a piranha needs about 20 gallon each fish so for now they should be good until they get bigger and i have a question on how can i keep my water clean? I cleaned it already made a 25% water change and the water still looks dirty

Back
Top Bottom