Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to this

Ive just recieved 2 aquariums from a friend of mine, one 50 gallon and one 60 gallon. The 50 is already set up and has been running for 4 days. Im now ready to start looking for fish but no idea how many or what kind. So just looking for any suggestions

Old 11-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA Anthony, hopefully we can help you out. First thing you might want to do some reading on is cycling your tank. If its only been up for four days, its really not ready for fish, unless you're willing to put the time and effort into a lot of water changes and chemical testing when doing a fish in cycle. You might be better off to consider fishless cycling since the tank is currently unstocked.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

So far Ive put the tank start chemicals in it which was the cap per 10 gallons. Did that the night I set the tank up. I have to large filters on it that have been running the whole time. They each have two seperate filters in them. The water is sitting at 79 degrees. So that is where Im sitting right now
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

The filters I guess may be called pumps it says one per 35 to 50 gallon tank but I just put two to be on the safe side
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_G View Post
So far Ive put the tank start chemicals in it which was the cap per 10 gallons. Did that the night I set the tank up. I have to large filters on it that have been running the whole time. They each have two seperate filters in them. The water is sitting at 79 degrees. So that is where Im sitting right now
By start chemicals do you mean some type of bottled bacteria starter? Or are we talking more water treatment like prime? Cycling has to do with establishing a population of bacteria in the filters/substrate of your aquarium in order to help with the breakdown of waste and prevent the build up of toxic organics like ammonia which can result in the death of your fish.

Bottled bacteria is notoriously ineffective at preparing your tank for fish, although it may give you a bit of a jump start on introducing the bacteria populations. Regardless, you will still need to build those bacteria populations.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The filters I guess may be called pumps it says one per 35 to 50 gallon tank but I just put two to be on the safe side
What type of pump/filters are you running?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #7

I used two types of chemicals. One was tank start up and the other was to put some kind of bacteria in the tank that it needed. Honestly I couldnt tell you the name my buddy had them on the tank when he was using it. He upgraded to 120 gallon so he gave me the 50 gallon and 60 gallon. So he gave me all the filters and chemicals to put in it to start off.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

This link will help you understand the fishless cycle;
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

And this may help with the fish in cycle;
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I used two types of chemicals. One was tank start up and the other was to put some kind of bacteria in the tank that it needed. Honestly I couldnt tell you the name my buddy had them on the tank when he was using it. He upgraded to 120 gallon so he gave me the 50 gallon and 60 gallon. So he gave me all the filters and chemicals to put in it to start off.
Where the filters running when you got them, or had they been allowed to dry out? If they were still wet, you may be ok on bacteria, if they were allowed to dry out or you put all new media in, then you will need to recycle the tank/filters.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #10

We drained the tank kept the rocks in it moved it to my house plugged everything back up and filled it with water and turned everything on.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com