New to This!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlstoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody!

I am a new fish hobbyist. I just got a 37 gal tank set up yesterday. Before setting up the tank I used many resources for advice. This site was used the most frequent, so i decided to become a member to get more!

So far my tank is set up with no fish. I am planning on getting fish either tomorrow or this weekend. I dechlorinated the water and am now ready to start a fish-in cycle.

If anyone could give me some advice as to which fish and how many to use for the cycle would be great. I have read many different things. Just want a few more opinions.

Also if you could give some stocking lists for my size tank that would be great too. I like a lot of different types of fish, but would like active, colorful ones if possible.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

rlstoll said:
Hey everybody!

I am a new fish hobbyist. I just got a 37 gal tank set up yesterday. Before setting up the tank I used many resources for advice. This site was used the most frequent, so i decided to become a member to get more!

So far my tank is set up with no fish. I am planning on getting fish either tomorrow or this weekend. I dechlorinated the water and am now ready to start a fish-in cycle.

If anyone could give me some advice as to which fish and how many to use for the cycle would be great. I have read many different things. Just want a few more opinions.

Also if you could give some stocking lists for my size tank that would be great too. I like a lot of different types of fish, but would like active, colorful ones if possible.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Welcome I've used this website for quite a while and if you need help just post a thread and people will be helping you in minutes!

Welcome to AA and glad you chose us ;) .. there are very informitive articles on AAs website about fish in and fishless cycling. Have you considered fishless? Also a little more detail on your likes could get us on track for a stock list. Do you want lots of small peaceful fish for a community tank or do you one one or two larger show fish.

I haven't really considered a fish-less cycle. Everything I have read about adding the bacteria from a bottle didn't seem appealing to me. Also, I have no access to a mature media to get the bacteria going.

As for the type of fish I like: Would it be possible to have a bunch of smaller fish and a few larger ones? For some reason I have always liked cichlids, but I know from research that there are not too many options for a variety of fish. I really just want a great looking community tank that I know will work, since this is my first one.

Fishless cycles aren't just bottled bacteria. Your fish produce waste which converts to ammonia when it breaks down. You can skip that step by using shrimp/fish food/ or pure ammonia that way you have no fish (no water changes to keep them alive) and if you like cichlids have you considered rams? Some people will disagree with this but you could do a small group of yellow labs but just yellow labs (species only tank). The rams though you can keep in a community setting.

Those Rams look pretty nice. Would I be able to use them to get the cycle going? How many would you suggest and what would be a good future stocking plan for them?

No no no lol rams would have to be last. They are very sensitive so need a stable tank. When stocking a tank you should add in order least aggressive to most aggressive. So I would start with a couple schools of rasboras or tetras. Then add a bottom dwelling fish or 2 maybe a school of cories. Then a pair of rams bolivian/blue/gold

Alright, that sounds great. I have read that you should keep the tetra or rasboras in schools of 8. Would that be too many for the start of the cycle?

No but you do realize you'll be doing daily water changes to keep them alive and it prolongs the cycle over dosing ammonia or adding some type of food without fish so the water can just sit and you could also run it much warmer then the fish could handle to speed it up.

So you would suggest getting pure ammonia or using food to start it off? Just add and walk away aside from testing the water?

Well thanks a lot for your advice. I'm going to try the fish less cycle. I will try to find pure ammonia. I also saw a thread that explains the cycle in good detail I'll try. Thanks again. Hopefully in the future I'll post a picture of my new tank!

Thank you! I did see that guide, but I don't think I will be able to gay any mature media for me to boost the process. Any suggestions??

rlstoll said:
Thank you! I did see that guide, but I don't think I will be able to gay any mature media for me to boost the process. Any suggestions??

It can be done as stated above without it. All it means is it will take a little longer

Back
Top Bottom