New To This and Already Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsarita68

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! I am new to this forum, actually any kind of forum, so if I make some mistakes I apologize in advance. After setting up a very small tank and loosing my fish with in a week I decided to do some research and see what went wrong. Boy, did I screw up in every way possible! I have combed through this forum collecting advice and gaining knowledge to set up my new tank in an attempt to do it right this time. I got a bigger tank, researched the fish I wanted, researched the plants, etc. I set up the tank with the water sprite, and guppy grass and then a week later put some bio filter from a friend's tank in my filter, added 2 fish and the Dwarf Sagittaria. My current readings as of today are High Range PH 8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. I am using API Freshwater Master Test Kit. However, I have already run into a problem and I hope you all can help. I think one of my fish has a parasite. Prior to the parasite his tail fin had a white streak that seemed to give way to a tear hopefully you can see in the photo. If someone can identify this and let me know how to treat it I would be very appreciative! Thanks and I look forward to being part of this community! ~J

Attachments

• FishP1.jpg
    FishP1.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 93
Hi J, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you've researched and set up your tank again. Your water tests are looking good. It's quite common for a fish to suffer minor damage in the process of netting and transporting etc. the damage can get a bit fungal and the result afterwards being a damaged fin. Clean water and not over feeding the tank is the best option. I wondered why you thought the fish had a parasite. Are you referring to the white thread looking bit below the fish in the picture or is that just the photo? The fish looks healthy enough.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Scot for replying to my post! Perhaps it's difficult to see in just a pic but the white wiggly thing right under the fish is coming out of it's, well, butt. It looks like white mixed with clear poo and is quite long,about half the size of the fish. The white thread looking bit below the fish is just the pic. Both fish now have ragged looking tails. It started as white spots or streaks in the tail and then the next day that section of tail was gone. I'm thinking this is a secondary perhaps fungal infection due to parasite infestation. The white string of poo disappeared a few hours after I noticed it and must have fallen into the tank somewhere. As of yet I have not seen any more come out of the fish but I haven't seen any poo either. I am keeping a watchful eye out and have put both fish in a Hospital tank and am treating with PraziPro. They will stay in the tank for 3 days and then I will put them back in the main tank and see. In the meantime I will feed them a tiny bit every day adding some garlic oil to the food. Hopefully only black/brown poo will come out! ~J

Hello! I read your thread yesterday but got busy and forgot to answer ;)

It looks like your guppy has some stringy poo.

I use this website to help diagnose and solve the problem. This should help:

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_diseases/fecal_disorders.html

And that's great you are on the right track with a master test kit and cycled. You have already gone farther than most beginners.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom