Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to this and worried!

Please help. I bought my first fish, 2 Platy's, 3 days ago. This was 5 days after setting up the tank with the filter & adding API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme. I'm new to caring for fish and followed the instructions given by the pet store. I wish I had found the online Fish forums before I bought my fish. My smallest platy, seems to have the bottom half of his tail fin missing, which I hadn't seen until the fish were properly in my tank. I rang the pet store, worried, but they said it would probably be fine! I've kept a close eye on my fish ever since and it seems unhappy, spending a lot of time hiding at the bottom of the tank. I have fed them once since bringing them home (based on feeding every other day) and they both fed fine. I fed tiny amounts and watched them both eat.
Please could someone give me some advice. I'm really worried for my little platy. Could it be the stress of the new tank or something to do with its tail? There doesn't appear to be any sign of infection on the tail. Should I do a 20% water change as soon as possible?
I would be really grateful for any help. Thank you.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ideally the tank would have been cyled for 2 weeks and water parameters checked before adding fish. Do you know what your water tests out at? A good aquarium cupboard staple is Melafix by API if you can get it. I swear by It as it is great at healing tissue probs etc in fish and is antibacterial. You could do a 20 percent change, add more stress zyme or Cycle is a good live bacrteria product by Nutrafin. Melafix is also a good preventativefor bacterial infections. Stress coat will also help fins to mend, it is safe to add with the Melafix.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Most of the products mentioned are questionable at best.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

your tank isn't cycled. please read this article. post asny questions youi have and we'll be happy to help.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry hn1 posted while i was writing. it's great advice.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #6

Thank you for the advice. I will do the water change and add the products you suggest. I'll also buy a test kit in the morning and let you know the results. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Brearley
Thank you for the advice. I will do the water change and add the products you suggest. I'll also buy a test kit in the morning and let you know the results. Thanks again.
I have carried out the water change, with stress zyme and stress coat and will buy the test kit today. So far today little platy seems ok. He is swimming around normally at the moment.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #9

It's a 19 litre tank. I plan to buy a bigger tank before they grow much bigger, now that I know more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that little platy will be ok, then once they are both settled i will buy a bigger tank and make sure it is fully cycled before the fish are put in.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #10

I forgot to mention this - before I bought the fish I took a sample of the tank water to the store for testing - which is something they advertise that they do, but when I got there they said there was nothing to test for as no fish were in the tank yet!
They had told me to wait just 3 days before putting fish in but as the water was very cloudy I waited a couple more days until it was totally clear. I wish i had found the forums before i got the fish, now I've found out that even this was nowhere near long enough.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com