New to this and worried!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah Brearley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help. I bought my first fish, 2 Platy's, 3 days ago. This was 5 days after setting up the tank with the filter & adding API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme. I'm new to caring for fish and followed the instructions given by the pet store. I wish I had found the online Fish forums before I bought my fish. My smallest platy, seems to have the bottom half of his tail fin missing, which I hadn't seen until the fish were properly in my tank. I rang the pet store, worried, but they said it would probably be fine! I've kept a close eye on my fish ever since and it seems unhappy, spending a lot of time hiding at the bottom of the tank. I have fed them once since bringing them home (based on feeding every other day) and they both fed fine. I fed tiny amounts and watched them both eat.
Please could someone give me some advice. I'm really worried for my little platy. Could it be the stress of the new tank or something to do with its tail? There doesn't appear to be any sign of infection on the tail. Should I do a 20% water change as soon as possible?
I would be really grateful for any help. Thank you.

Ideally the tank would have been cyled for 2 weeks and water parameters checked before adding fish. Do you know what your water tests out at? A good aquarium cupboard staple is Melafix by API if you can get it. I swear by It as it is great at healing tissue probs etc in fish and is antibacterial. You could do a 20 percent change, add more stress zyme or Cycle is a good live bacrteria product by Nutrafin. Melafix is also a good preventativefor bacterial infections. Stress coat will also help fins to mend, it is safe to add with the Melafix. :)

sorry hn1 posted while i was writing. it's great advice. :)

Thank you for the advice. I will do the water change and add the products you suggest. I'll also buy a test kit in the morning and let you know the results. Thanks again.

Sarah Brearley said:
Thank you for the advice. I will do the water change and add the products you suggest. I'll also buy a test kit in the morning and let you know the results. Thanks again.

I have carried out the water change, with stress zyme and stress coat and will buy the test kit today. So far today little platy seems ok. He is swimming around normally at the moment.

It's a 19 litre tank. I plan to buy a bigger tank before they grow much bigger, now that I know more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that little platy will be ok, then once they are both settled i will buy a bigger tank and make sure it is fully cycled before the fish are put in.

I forgot to mention this - before I bought the fish I took a sample of the tank water to the store for testing - which is something they advertise that they do, but when I got there they said there was nothing to test for as no fish were in the tank yet!
They had told me to wait just 3 days before putting fish in but as the water was very cloudy I waited a couple more days until it was totally clear. I wish i had found the forums before i got the fish, now I've found out that even this was nowhere near long enough.

19 liters is only 3.8 gallons
You need at least a 10 gallon tank for them with no other tankmates besides one more platy or one male guppy

Unfortunately, most LFS are in it to make money. They know they can sell most people fish with the aquarium. Then, when they die, they will come back for more remedies and fish. It is an ongoing cycle where you just keep spending money there. Not to say all are like that, but most are. Ask your questions here and we will help you through it. You will need to do daily water changes to keep ammonia from building up and killing your fish. I would not add any medicines right now. Your best defense is good clean water. That alone can fix alot.

emerald76 said:
19 liters is only 3.8 gallons
You need at least a 10 gallon tank for them with no other tankmates besides one more platy or one male guppy

He already stated he was upgrading.

Thank you, regarding the water changes. That was going to be my next question. I was wondering whether I should be adding stress coat and/or stress zyme when I do the daily part water changes. I added both today but then wondered what happens tomorrow. Do I add untreated tap water or treat it first? Worried about doing the wrong thing! Thank you for your help.

Sarah Brearley said:
Thank you, regarding the water changes. That was going to be my next question. I was wondering whether I should be adding stress coat and/or stress zyme when I do the daily part water changes. I added both today but then wondered what happens tomorrow. Do I add untreated tap water or treat it first? Worried about doing the wrong thing! Thank you for your help.
Always treat any water before adding to the tank. I add mine to the water bucket and stir well. Try to match your new water to your tank water to avoid possible temperature shock. I top mine with boiled water from the kettle. Don't use water from your hot tap. You will get used to testing water with your hands. I shouldn't think you would need to add stress coat etc every day. I would just treat the amount needed for your bucket water if you really want to add them. Other wise You could justuise them when you get to weekly waterchanges

Thank you. The only treatments I have at the moment are the API stress zyme and stress cost that the store advised me to use when i got the tank. Should i be using something different?

Sarah Brearley said:
Thank you. The only treatments I have at the moment are the API stress zyme and stress cost that the store advised me to use when i got the tank. Should i be using something different?

Stress coat, I meant! Oops.

Back
Top Bottom