New to this forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lima

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there - I've participated in some aquarium forums a little bit but haven't been on this one before. I got into the hobby a couple of years ago when my daughter's science class did their ecosystem section and their teacher was giving away the guppies she used for their lab. My daughter wanted to keep one of them in a butter dish but I thought we could do better. I'd kept fish as a kid and had been thinking about getting back into it, and it was the push I needed. I told her to tell her teacher we could take 6 of the guppies and I bought a 15 gallon tank while she was at school. Of course she came home with 11 guppies and 3 snails! I had never heard of tank cycling and as I did research realized I'd have to work hard if I was going to keep them alive. I managed to cycle it and only lost 2 of the guppies. Should have never put the snails in there though...good grief they got to be everywhere.

Anyhow, over the last two years I have had different fish in that tank. I've become a bit of a fish tank addict and added a 36 gallon that is now a thriving community tank. I just recently purchased two 5 gallon tanks that I'm working on cycling (fishless) to put bettas into. My dream is a great big saltwater tank, but I've never done salt before so I'm probably a year or two away from attempting it.

Glad to meet everyone!:fish2:

Sweet!

Welcome! I love your story about how you became an aquarium addict! Mine was backwards in comparison to your sweet story and what an awesome idea from her teacher. Happy time with your new hobby!(y)

Your story sounds similar to mine. My then 4th grader came home from school with three snails, a female guppy and an African dwarf frog. I put them in a small 1.5 gallon tank. The whole family enjoyed it and we now have a 37 gallon community tank. We still have the guppy and the frog six months later and a host of other new aquatic fishy friends. We have no room (or $$) for more tanks so we will enjoy our new hobby with one tank.

I love African dwarf frogs! I have two that will hit 2 years with me next Christmas (yes, they were a gift from grandma to my daughter). They are the goofiest things I've ever seen and make the tank so much fun. Feeding them in a community tank can be a bit of a bear though...every other thing in the tank is faster than they are so I have to stand there with a set of tongs and feed them each individually :banghead:. Oh well...worth it for those silly things

Love the story too! Happy that the teacher at least asked if anyone wanted them.

The ADF are great candidates for a species only tank in a 5-10G with lots of friends #'s by size of tank of course. There are a few types of fish which would be good tank mates and the Chili Rasbora, little things, aka Boraras Brigittae, would not bother them or compete for food.

There are a few other nano fish which would work too - some are the Chilis relatives. You can check in with me about them if you are ever getting to the planning stages for a tank.

Awww, it's good to meet you, your daughter, and your fish, oh and snails. Hope you have all good luck with saltwater. Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom