New to this site & hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

april3girl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
By no means am I a big fish hobbyist but just purchased a 36 gallon bow front tank for my comet goldfish who had outgrown their old 10 gallon tank. In the pet store I was advised to purchase the National Geographic PF50 Power Filter for my new tank. The day I set the tank up & filled it, the water stayed clear for awhile, but now it is not clear. It isn't real cloudy, just not clear. After I have spent quite a bit of money & not wanting to go into major debt for this, I would just like to have a nice, clear tank. My little 10 gallon tank was much clearer.....any suggestions? Bigger/different filter? Thanks!!

It's likely not clear because your tank isn't cycled ;)

New filter in a new tank means you need to cycle the tank.

Basically, the nitrogen cycle takes place in your filter, this is where bacteria consume the toxic waste of your fish and leave the byproduct nitrate which is removed via water changes.

Head to the getting started section and read up on Fish-In Cycing since you already have your fish.

Do you have a test kit?

Daily testing and water changes may be needed to keep him safe till the tank cycles.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom