Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to Tropical Tank

Hi I'm very new to having tropical fish and to be honest I want all the species

Now the problem is I don't know what is the correct amount to have in a tank and I don't know the size of my tank how would I be able to work this out?

So far I have:
7 cardinal tetras
2 Molly's
1 clown loach
3 coolie loach
3 frogs
1 gourami
1 pleccy
1 male Siamese fish
2 female Siamese fish
3 tetras gold stripe?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Look It Up

Hi and welcome! If you measure the tank you should be able to figure out the gallons. Here's a chart that may be helpful. You have a heavy stock list and some of those shouldn't be together in the same tank (e.g. male/female Bettas). There's no set stock rule really; you just have to research fish and see what they're requirements are and determine whether they are compatible with your tank size and other tank mates. You can always ask here too. There are some sites like aqadvisor where you can plug in your tank size, filtration, and fish it will give you a guideline as to whether they are compatible and how heavily stocked your tank is, but it's just a guide and isn't always accurate, so do your own research too.

How long have you had the tank set up? If it's new, it might still be cycling, so you'll want to read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
and this has some good general info Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi I have worked out it is a 55 litre tank

The shop sold me 1 make Siamese fighter and his two partners - was this incorrect then?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390761186.840660.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	218959
My 55 litre tank between two rooms
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390761240.566280.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	218960 view to
Kitchen in first pic and view to snug room in second - same tank
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

New to Tropical Tank

Are you currently keeping the male betta and female bettas in the same tank? If so, I would strongly advise you to remove either the male or the females.

Bettas are extremely aggressive to members of their own species. Males are notorious for this, but females can be just as much. The two genders should never be housed together, IMO. It is possible to keep a group of females (odd numbers is best) in a sorority, but the male needs to be removed from the equation.

Beautiful tank, by the way.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh wow Christ these were sold to be by an expert in the shop sold me all three for £16 (we are talking about the Siamese fighters are we)

Thanks for your response
Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, Bettas are sometimes called Siamese fighting fish. They are wonderful little creatures with very distinct personalities, but unfortunately there are a lot of misconceptions about their care.

If I were you, I would try to return the male, if you don't have the means to house him separately. If you can't return him, it is fairly easy to set up for him. A 2.5 or 5 gallon aquarium would be ideal. He will need a heater. Filters are not absolutely required, but without one you must do water changes religiously. I have always kept males in a heated, filtered tank. Supply him with some silk or live plants and he will be very happy.

Another option is using a divider in your current tank. I've not used one, but plenty do.

Tags
pic, tan, tank, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com