New with a Small Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About two weeks ago, I was given a small (1g) tank with an undergravel filter. I put some natural river gravel in it (The joy of living near a clean river) along with some nice (non-calcium) rocks. I'm going for a room tempature setup; with a natural river theme. I put a few granules of fish food (I have tiny fish pellets) and let it run for a couple of weeks to cycle.

Fast forward 2 weeks.

I now have 3 White Clouds in the tank, as well as some Duckweed to help manage any potential algae / manage some of the nitrates/nitrites. I've had it for about a day so far set up like this. The white clouds are a tad skittish; likely because of their new habitat. I do daily 8-10% water changes and I'm planning to do weekly 50% changes (total 100%~ change/week). My question is; should I put another fish in? The White Clouds might feel less skittish with a bigger school. And if my tank could support another fish; should I get another White Cloud or go for some variation and get a guppy?

EDIT: I think I may have posted this in the wrong place. If it is and if mods on this forum can move things, can it please be moved to the right place? Kthx

Hello and welcome to AA!

A 1 gallon tank is no home for ANY fish. I encourage you to please tank those white clouds back. They need atleast a 10 gal tank in my opinion.

I have several 1 gallon tanks and they make lovely planted shrimp tanks. You could get something like red cherry, blueberry, blue pearl, sunkist, or yellow.

The under gravel filter is not a proper filtration system. Do what I did and chuck the thing all together and plug the air pump instead into a small sponge filter you can pick up for just a few dollars that will provide actual biological filtration.

Also a couple granules of fish food and a couple weeks will definitely not cycle a tank. Especially without a sponge or power filter running. The white clouds will surely be poisoned by build up of ammonia and nitrite, especially in such cramped quarters.

Looking around; it seems pictures are liked here. I've only got a meh-cellphone camera, but here it is.

http://i.imgur.com/WlMP3.jpg

(also; what is the best way to put images on the forum?)

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I agree, shrimp are very cool, there are so many different kinds!:)

I added some Java Fern, and it looks a lot less empty now. I would disagree about three WCMM being too much for this tank; although I accept that it's the maximum. Keep in mind these aren't delicate; messy fish like a Goldfish. They're relatively hardy, slender-bodied coolwater fish. I'm also doing daily water changes and have it well planted. The undergravel filter isn't the most effective filter; but it's better then nothing.

People are hardy, and (usually) not messy. They can be slender-bodied. They like clean air and food.

...Now stick one in a bedroom closet. Actually, scratch that - stick three in a bedroom closet.

This is basically the equivalent to what your fish live in. It doesn't matter that they have plants or filtration or rocks or water changes every day - one gallon is too small. Your fish will not thrive mentally or physically and will not live long. If you truly care about your pets, take them back to the store and let the tank cycle, then consider getting shrimp or a snail. Those are the only suitable inhabitants for an environment that small.

I think you're anthropomorphizing fish a tad too much here. If you looks at the fish's length against the size of the aquarium; it would be much more like putting three people in a small or medium-sized apartment. Sure it's a bit crowded, but it's far from a closet.

The vast majority of hobbyists with any kind of experience would agree that three of any fish in a 1 gallon tank is simply not suitable. Even nano fish much smaller than your white clouds don't belong in that tank. I hope you will take this to heart and realize what you are doing is really not fair to those fish.

It's sad those little fish aren't going to have any room to swim, but on the plus side, they probably aren't going to live long anyway being poisoned by their own waste in that tiny tank.

I hope you change your mind and decide to keep them in a more humane fashion.

Then perhaps, for the welfare of the animals, it's best to take them back, take down the tank, and find something else to fill that small space. A potted plant, perhaps, or a desk lamp.

If I had room for a bigger tank; I would.
I completely understand. If you want to make the switch, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking those fish back to a store. People do it all the time. I dare say some shrimp would probably provide you more entertainment in there anyway! (y)

If you wan't a small desktop tank, invest in a 5 or 10 gallon. I just bought two 5 gallon tanks and they cost me $25 each. They are kits that come with a small power filter, hood and light. Pretty cheap in my opinion. I got one for each of my kids ( a 2 and 4 year old), and they will be getting them set up for christmas. In their tanks they are each going to have an apple snail and one betta. I would say the only single fish you could put in that tank would be a betta, but a betta needs a heater and I would say at least 3-5 gallons.

You have heard from multiple people and I agree that 3 whiteclouds do not belong in a 1 gallon tank. If you really want those particular fish, spend $10-$30 at walmart and get a 10 gallon tank.

If I had room for a bigger tank; I would.

Would you a greyhound and keep him cooped up in a small apartment without any time to run free (as they need a lot of run time)? Sure the greyhound might survive but his life would be shorter and a lot more miserable. Different types of fish have different needs. If you only have room for a 1 gallon then you need to decide on something to put in it that is not active and doesn't require a ton of room to swim around. The size of the fish isn't the only thing to consider, it's the activity level as well.

People may live together in a small apartment but they can leave and run free. Your white clouds are stuck there, forever, with nowhere to go.

I'll try ASAP to see if I can fit something a tad bigger (2-5 gallons) in.

Monny said:
I'll try ASAP to see if I can fit something a tad bigger (2-5 gallons) in.

It's good that your trying to fix the problem, but 5g still wouldn't be enough. If you do manage to get a 5g rehome the minnows and get a betta. It's a much better option

It's good that your trying to fix the problem, but 5g still wouldn't be enough. If you do manage to get a 5g rehome the minnows and get a betta. It's a much better option

This is good advice, I agree. But if you get a betta, it needs a heater to keep the temp around 78/80

Back
Top Bottom