Newb newar Philly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeep_n_hog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started my first 45 Gallon Freshwater tank, after successfully getting a 10 gallon tank going for the kids.

In process of building a new aquarium/entertainment stand due to "family decision" to just use existing Sauder entertainment center failing miserably (who'd a thunk it?).

Hello and welcome :) Sounds like the entertainment center was an ordeal. What did you end up doing?

Just started building a new one from scratch. I'll document it and post it when its done. Shored up the old one as best as I could, and hoping that it holds until I can get most of the new one built and in place. Should have something usable by early next week.

Just started building a new one from scratch. I'll document it and post it when its done. Shored up the old one as best as I could, and hoping that it holds until I can get most of the new one built and in place. Should have something usable by early next week.
Ahh cool! I look forward to seeing it when you are finished!

Welcome to AQUARIUM ADVICE! I didn't mean to put that in caps, sorry :p

Just started the cycling of the new tank. Been a week, and cloudiness is gone today, so its making good progress. Hopefully I don't turn the livingroim floor into a pond before I can get the new stand built.

I should be able to empty the water from the tank into some large clean trash cans for the move and refill with the same water so I don't have to start over.

I have pennywart and two other kinds of live plants in there that also seem to be doing well.

Love this site!

jeep_n_hog said:
Just started the cycling of the new tank. Been a week, and cloudiness is gone today, so its making good progress. Hopefully I don't turn the livingroim floor into a pond before I can get the new stand built.

I should be able to empty the water from the tank into some large clean trash cans for the move and refill with the same water so I don't have to start over.

I have pennywart and two other kinds of live plants in there that also seem to be doing well.

Love this site!

Good luck! Hope all goes well. Keep a close eye on pH near the ending of the cycle. I have had problems with pH crashing and screwing up the cycle.

Welcome and Good Luck,

I am a Jeep Guy Too...I Have a Lifted ZJ (Grand Cherokee) running 31's with a BB 2 inch lift.

Welcome and Good Luck,

I am a Jeep Guy Too...I Have a Lifted ZJ (Grand Cherokee) running 31's with a BB 2 inch lift.

Must be a piney. lol

Welcome to AA jeep. :wave:
the water isn't what you really need to worry about keeping. most of what you need is in the filter so keep that wet while doing the change over and all will be fine. :)

I used to be a piney, did a bunch of the pines cleanup runs before things really got organized with that. Used to go to all the fall and spring runs that ok4wd sponsors, etc.Frequented quadratecs forums for a long time. Have a family now, so the jeep is slowly becoming one with the earth in the backyard.

94 YJ on 36's ...hopefully will be running again someday sooner than later.

I used to be a piney, did a bunch of the pines cleanup runs before things really got organized with that. Used to go to all the fall and spring runs that ok4wd sponsors, etc.Frequented quadratecs forums for a long time. Have a family now, so the jeep is slowly becoming one with the earth in the backyard.

94 YJ on 36's ...hopefully will be running again someday sooner than later.

I hear you, I haven't wheeled in a while and it basically has become a Home Depot runner. I have a Semi Bad front "rear". In the long run doing this as a hobby is cheap now gas is going up to 4 bucks. :(

yup. big wheels are not gas friendly. neither are v8's. had lots of fun out in the pines myself. guess we'll have to switch to motorcross for a bit. lol

Good luck! Hope all goes well. Keep a close eye on pH near the ending of the cycle. I have had problems with pH crashing and screwing up the cycle.

Wife has been monitoring the cycling and I've been so busy at work, and after work, I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it in a few days.

If the PH does start to decline, what do you do to correct it? I know the PH level has to be between 6-8, basically a neutral to slightly alkaline level.

JNH

jeep_n_hog said:
Wife has been monitoring the cycling and I've been so busy at work, and after work, I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it in a few days.

If the PH does start to decline, what do you do to correct it? I know the PH level has to be between 6-8, basically a neutral to slightly alkaline level.

JNH

You'd do a 50+% water change to get the pH back up.

Lovin Fish said:
Ahh cool! I look forward to seeing it when you are finished!

Build is done, but initial staining application showed that I still have some sanding to do. Wife is happy with it, but to me, its not ready. Depending on work load, It should be done this coming weekend.

Build is, well, lets call it "Usable". I still need to build the drawer and doors, but I can at least move the aquarium to it, and add those later.

Doors at each end, and a drawer in the middle/ bottom. Top middle is for the DVD and Sat box.

I'll get another picture as soon as we get the tank moved over to it.

The staining is different shades because of the different woods. I wanted something that looks like it's been here awhile. To achieve that, I used 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the top and (4) columns. Each column is also framed by pine 1x4's, which were then covered by 1/4" cabinet grade paneling. The top is rimmed with 1x2 Maple, 1x3 maple, and the bottom is a maple 1x4. Trim is poplar, which is why it is darker (Softer wood than the maple, so it takes the stain faster). I've always been a fan of maple for it's extreme hardness and random wood grains.

3 coats of polyurethane later and it's "Usable". Not bad for nothing but a circular saw, some deck screws and an air nailer. Joints would have been tighter if I had my mitre saw and I could have gotten a little more decorative with a router and belt sander. All are at my other house a few hours away (which has been in the middle of a re-model for the last 5 years...long story).

It's 54 inches long, 21 inches high and 17" deep and will hold my 45 gallon aquarium with no problem. The columns are spaced at 17 and 36" from the end (if I remember right). My Aquarium is 36" long, so the weight is distributed across 3 of the 4 columns that run from top, to the floor. The design is simple, but it's functional, and I think looks pretty good. If I had to do it again, the only difference I'd make, is I'd spend alot more time sanding before staining.

Attachments

• cabinet2 small.jpg
    cabinet2 small.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 36
  • cabinet small.jpg
    cabinet small.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom