newbe question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mogens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guy's and gal's. Am new to forum. Looks like a lot of great info. I am in the process of setting up a 135 gallon tank. Am getting some mixed info on substrates and gravel. Do I need both or just substrate? Thanks,Mogens

Well gravel is a substrate. Substrate is a broad label for anything you are using on the bottom of the tank. Gravel, sand, dirt and things like eco complete are all substrates. What to use depends a bit on what you are doing with the tank.

It will be a fresh water tank. Am considering pool filter sand but don't know much about its use in a fish tank. I't a great cost compared to what my local fish store wants to sell me. $45 compared to $250. Just not sure if it is good for plants? Thanks,Mogens

The sand itself won't have any nutritional value to plants. You will need to add liquid or dry ferts or add dirt under it for nutrients depending on what plants you use.

Not sure if I want to get into CO2 so would use plants that don't need it. What would you suggest to put under the sand?

You dont have to put anything if you dont want. I personally love using dirt but there are many on here that just do sand and does liquid or dry ferts and their tanks are beautiful. Since you are new to this I think it would be easier and less messy to go the liquid/dry ferts route. Unfortunately I dont do that and can't help you with it.

Back
Top Bottom