The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gomoe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. Ok, I am going tomorrow to pick up a 20 Gal. tank from Craigslist. Comes with the pump a heater gravel and lots of other goodies. I have a one gallon tank right now. I killed 2 goldfish right out the gate in it. Didn't do my home work, and put the poor little guys together in the 1 gal tank. I never realized having fish, keeping them alive, was such a thing. My son has HUGE 200 gal tank, and multiple smaller, (meaning 75 gal and bigger) in his home in MN. He keeps beautiful fish in them. Anyway, after killing 2 gold fish I spoke to the kid. He informed me, just as I need my space, so do fish. I now have a beautiful Male Betta in the one gal tank. So far, I think he's doing ok. I know when I bring the tank home tomorrow, to fill it, let the water cycle, then test it. (Personally I'm no sure about that, so I plan on taking a sample of the water to my local Pet Smart where they will test it for me free.) Once it is ready for fish,
1. Can I put Charlie, my Betta guy, in with other fish?
2. How long should I let Charlie have the tank to himself before adding any new fish?
3. From what I have read, I would do well to never have more than 15 fish in the 20 gallon tank. What combinations would do well?

These are just FOR STARTERS questions. LOL I have discovered I truely do love having fish, now if I can just keep them alive! Any suggestions and advice are definately appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome! just a note, I dont do freshwater, but 15 is a bit much for a 20 gal. I would go with closer to 4 or 5. You have to think about "personal space", strain on yout filter, individual temperment, and adult size. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a small room, lying in others filth, with 14 angry adult men. Fish don't much like it either. I just don't want you to set yourself up for failure in a hobby that can bring great joy.

Thank you Zack. I am looking for just that sort of advice. I know this is going to take some time, and patience, but will be worth it. You make a good point. I'd likely start killing off the angry adults one at a time. That's what I DON'T want to see happen with the fish.

Do I really need one pound of gravel per gallon of water? That seem like a lot.

Thanks Mike, and WOW!! It will take me some time and experience to have something that beautiful. Still studying up on just simply maintaining the tank. The cleaning and cycling and so on. I don't want to put any fish in the new tank, until I am comfortable enough that I won't kill them.

Guess I'll be buying about 15 more pounds of gravel tomorrow ;)

Back
Top Bottom