Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh don't worry about the rock thing! If it eats wafers, that's fantastic. You could still grow the extra algae for it if you want to, but it's the oto's that don't eat supplements that you really need to do that for. I would start supplmenting from time to time with veggies like blanched shelled peas and zucchini. If it eats wafers I would expect it should take right to veggies as well. You can use just regular frozen peas and microwave them in water until soft, then pop the shells off. I mic my zucchini in water until soft as well, just cut it into strips or discs so they can get at the inside.

So the shrimp will be going into the 2.5 gal..is that a glass tank or something like a minibow? If it's a minibow, you can screw a regular household CFL bulb into the socket instead of the standard aquarium incandescent bulb. Look for one that is about 10 watt and specifies that it is 6500k or better. Your shrimp will do fine with any light, or even no light, but if you want to grow plants in their tank this bulb will allow you to do that.

How many cherries are there? It's possible there isn't a male/female pair. Do you know the pH and temperature of their tank?

Old 11-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm actually thinking about getting a fluval edge 12gal and the 7.9gal.
I have 4 Cherrys and an orange bee shrimp. I plan on getting more though. I think the obs is the only male lol. The temp in their tank is 75-79 and the water is hard. pH is high I think at 8.5
I was looking into non chemical ways to lower it but the water parameter thing confuses me. I'm trying though -_-
Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hard water should be great for them. I am surprised they are not reproducing for you..maybe it is a male/female issue. If you want to try to sex them and see for sure, it's pretty easy, you can read here for info on it: Red Cherry Shrimp .:. Neocaridina heteropoda sp. "Red Cherry" .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page. You may not need to lower your pH at all. It is a bit high, but depending on what fish you want to keep in the future, they may all do fine at your natural pH. Most fish are very adaptable when it comes to pH, but some are more sensitive.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh that's good to hear.
I'm pretty sure they are all female except the orange bee. They hide a lot though and I read they are pretty active shrimp so maybe there is something up with mine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com