The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessa1606

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI ALL! I am new to the site and new to aquarium life (6 mo.) I have a 40 gal freshwater tank and could not be happier with it! I have posted what i have on my profile and all are welcome to take a look. I am open to advise from those more knowledgeable than myself (which isnt difficult to accomplish) lol

My name is Jessica, I live in Northern Wi, and I am a full time student and barista. I have a FW tank, 40 gal containing the following:
1 Rubbernose Pleco
1 Cory
2 yellow dwarf gouramis
2 silver dollar
6 neon tetra
1 betta
1 bamboo shrimp

Welcome to AA! Glad you found us. :)

I am very much looking forward to having a source and someone to answer all of my questions. With my tank, which would be mor beneficial sand or gravel?

Hi Jessica,
Sand or gravel as substrate is a matter of taste for the most part unless you're going to be growing plants, breeding fish or doing something which specifically requires one or the other. Which do you prefer the look of?

My Plecos never had an issue and I've been using sand for YEARS. I do believe they probably evolved dealing with it in the wild so I don't see what the issue would be with silica.

I think it is important that you use smooth rounded sand. Too rough is hard on bottom dwellers. Corydoras in particular more than Plecos can have issues with sharp edged sand. Damages their barbels.
I've got sand in 2 of my tanks and my Otos are fine with it :)
They aren't Plecos but similar lifestyle. :)

jessa1606 said:
HI ALL! I am new to the site and new to aquarium life (6 mo.) I have a 40 gal freshwater tank and could not be happier with it! I have posted what i have on my profile and all are welcome to take a look. I am open to advise from those more knowledgeable than myself (which isnt difficult to accomplish) lol

My name is Jessica, I live in Northern Wi, and I am a full time student and barista. I have a FW tank, 40 gal containing the following:
1 Rubbernose Pleco
1 Cory
2 yellow dwarf gouramis
2 silver dollar
6 neon tetra
1 betta
1 bamboo shrimp

Hi and welcome to AA!
IMO sand is the way to go. Looks nicer and easier to clean. You pleco will love the sand and so will your cory. :)
I've noticed a few things with your stocking list.
Cories do much better in schools of 4-6+. One lonely Cory will hide most of the time. So I'd like to suggest you add at least 3 more cories as friends for your little guy.
Sometimes multiple gouramis won't get along so that is something to look out for.
Silver dollars get very big. They also need to be in schools of 6 or more. They will out grow your tank so you will have to find them a new home soon.

Thanks guys! i think i will definetly make the switch to sand. As far as my little guys go, I intend to take the silver dollars out when they get bigger. Right now they are very small. i didnt know that the cories needed to be in groups, he is actually one of my more "social" fish. Will adding some friends for him overpopulate my tank?

jessa1606 said:
Thanks guys! i think i will definetly make the switch to sand. As far as my little guys go, I intend to take the silver dollars out when they get bigger. Right now they are very small. i didnt know that the cories needed to be in groups, he is actually one of my more "social" fish. Will adding some friends for him overpopulate my tank?

Your ok to add 3-5 more IMO. :)

Back
Top Bottom