newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewbee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i am new to this site, i have been frequently using it in the setup of my tank though, so i thought i should join so i can ask questions and discuss problems.

I have been researching for the best part of a year now on saltwater fish and i am very keen to start a marine tank but want to make sure i have everything sussed before i go ahead with this exciting challenge.

Just now i have a 5gallon fluval chi with peeb- my betta and hodge and squishy- my tiny endless guppies. I have a heater and some plants.

There ye go that's a little about me and my fish. I would also love if someone could help me sex my betta. I think he's a male veil tail but Im not sure and i also would like to know what plants i have as i got them from pets at hope but they could not tell me what they are.

I have included pictures of my betta for sexing and pictures of my plants. if someone could tell me what they are that would be great. :)

Attachments

• 1094.jpg
    1094.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1102.jpg
    1102.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 1068.jpg
    1068.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 55
Just think now its a 5 gallon tank in another couple months your going to want a 55 gallon tank :) Sorry I dont know plants, Just the fake ones for my tank, well mostly rocks at this point.

lewbee said:
I have included pictures of my betta for sexing and pictures of my plants. if someone could tell me what they are that would be great. :)

Welcome to AA! Very nice looking plants and betta. I think I see a sword plant in the middle and the betta looks male to me.

The tank looks nice, however I see something I feel I should warn you about.

The plant with the light edges is not a true aquarium plant. It will live for a while but then will die off and mess up your tank. I had this happen twice before I learned better.

That particular plant is supposed to be grown emmersed (top sticking ot of the water). Unfortunately a lot of lfs's sell these as well as others as aquarium plants, but they're really not. The best thing for it would be for you to take it out, put it in a pot on the windowsill, and put something different in the tank. May I recommend something with lowlight requirements like an anubia or a nice java fern?

The betta is beautiful. It appears to be a veiltail, defiantely male.

Anyway, welcome to AA! There are a lot of people here willing to help and I hope I have done so. :welcome:

Thanks jim. Saved my tank! Took the plant out. I did ask for java fern and anubia at the lfs but the lady didn't seem to have a clue what i was talking about. Might have to find a new shop.

Back
Top Bottom