The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HHT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I came across this site when doing a search on google. I thought I would register and was hoping I could get some advice and guidance.

I got a small aquarium for my kids (48 litre) with a live plant. Hoping to get another live plant in there. Have couple of ornaments in too. It has been running for just over a week. I got 3 neons to start with (advised by fish store) after I had my tank running for three days.

I have read that neons should be kept in groups of approx. 6, so the next day I went and bought another 3. All seemed ok but I did notice some clouding which kind of worried me (this was before I put the neons in). I was advised to do a 30% water change and 10% everyday.

I did this for a few days but changed 20-30% everyday and now been running over a week and clouding has more or less vanished :)

The day after I got the neons, I went and got another 3. The next day, sadly one died. Not sure if it was a bad fish to start with or other reason.

I now have 5 neons, 4 molly's, and a red fin tetra. So far so good.

I wanted samurai fighting fish but was advised I couldn't have them :(

My next plan is to get another 4 red fin tetras because I've read they should be in groups of atleast 5? Hoping to get some bottom feeders in a weeks time. Don't want to rush and cause problems!

Which other fish could I have in the tank. I'd like colourful fish and something funky looking like the fighters :) :thanks: in advance

Sorry for the long read but thought I'd do a proper introduction :whistle::whistle::banghead:

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!​

Sounds like your tank is experiencing New Tank Syndrome due to not being properly cycled, and unfortunately contrary to popular belief, neons are not good starter fish, especially in a tank that hasn't been cycled.

These articles may help you gain a better understanding of the nitrogen cycle:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

It also sounds like your stocking plans might be a bit overboard for a 48L tank. Slow is always the way to go with aquariums... nothing good happens fast :).

You also might want to post in the Freshwater getting started sub forum. This is more for just introductions - so you might get some additional views and help in the Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Thankyou fort384 for the welcome and especially the info. I think in future, I wont use the lfs I have used. I remember reading neons aren't good starter fish but thought I'd go with advice from the lfs thinking they know what they're on about!

The water in the tank has all cleared. I have got the test strips but will invest the liquid test kit. I will do anothewr partial water change today and do a gravel clean :)

I'm glad I registered and am sure I will learn a lot and be able to get answers to any questions I have :D

Back
Top Bottom