The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chellet1980

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this site I used to have a few tropicals about 16 years ago I have now got some new ones but am confused as to y all my fish well nearly all my fish are gathering at the top of the tank mostly in the corner any help or advice would be great thanx also lookin to make new friends

Welcome. Is your tank newly set up? The behavior you're describing typically is a lack of oxygen in the lower part of the tank or bad water conditions (ammonia, nitrites too high). When was the last time you tested your water, what were the results? Have you recently done a water change, if so how big, if not when was the last water change? How big is your tank & how many/what kind of fish? A little more information will help us help you.

It's a 64 litre tank I have......

3 cherry barbs
3 golden barbs
Mixture of about 15 different breeds of tetras all small fish.
I did wonder if its something to do with the emergancy issue I had to deal with my water levels are all ok I took a sample to my local fish shop and they said its perfect could it be due to stress as it is a new tank only set up on tues evening x

It's a 64 litre tank I have......

3 cherry barbs
3 golden barbs
Mixture of about 15 different breeds of tetras all small fish.
I did wonder if its something to do with the emergancy issue I had to deal with my water levels are all ok I took a sample to my local fish shop and they said its perfect could it be due to stress as it is a new tank only set up on tues evening x

I strongly suggest investing in your own liquid water test kit such as the API Master Kit, your tank is doing what is called a fish in cycle. You will need to test your water daily & do water changes according to the test results. Please read the attached & then ask questions:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Because you've added so many fish to a non-cycled tank you are going to probably have some challenges keeping them all alive. It is always to best to increase the number of fish slowly, over several weeks, so as not to overload the BB. I'm thinking your tank is overstocked even though they're small fish. Somebody else will need to chime in that part.

:welcome: to AA!

You'll have issues with water quality since you just set the tank up a couple days ago. It needs to build good bacteria in the filters to keep the ammonia,nitrites under control. This is what we call cycling and now that you have fish it would be a fish in cycle. Here is an article covering that
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Plus you will need to get a test kit like the api master test kit for the health of the fish or they may not last long. They sell strip test kits but we aim people away from them here because they are often wrong. Hope this helps and good luck

Thanx I would normally have let the tank set up a while longer but it was an emergancy as my previous tank developed a major crack in the bottom glass pane and the only tank I could get a lone of was a start up tank no where near big enough for the amount of fish I have will the fish settle down once the tanks been running for a while longer presuming they all survive that is never had this issue before so am hoping its down to wat has happend and that they will settle down x

Hi and welcome to AA:)
If i was you I would add a small airstone if possible? Do small daily water changes of about 10%. Then i would get some nutrafin cycle or equivalent {everybody has there own preference} feed very little and good luck:)

Thank u everyone for ur help and advice will sort things out in morning as its my bed time lol

Hi everyone I just wanted to say thank you for all advice and suggestions that were given to me my fish are so much happier and back to their old selves again and are now swimming about quite happy hopefully their new tank will be a good one and last better than the one that leaked and caused all their stress have added a new photo of them to my album thanx again everyone xx

Back
Top Bottom