The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttrichey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I just started a cichlid tank 46 gallon and can use any advice on breeding and sexing.

Welcome to AA and glad you found us here :) .. I too have a 46 BF cichlid tank. What do you plan on keeping?

I have 4.5" male bumblebee as well as a 2.5" not sexed yet, a 3.5" blue zebra, a 3" and 2" golden in a 40 gallon tank.... just learned that's a bad idea I guess?

ttrichey said:
I have 4.5" male bumblebee as well as a 2.5" not sexed yet, a 3.5" blue zebra, a 3" and 2" golden in a 40 gallon tank.... just learned that's a bad idea I guess?

Bad idea in a way I would say. Bumble bees can get up to 8" big and get quite nasty at times.

Ya kinda, if your gonna keep malawis in a 3ft tank you'll have to keep it to the lower end of aggression like yellow labs and not mix as many either. A 75 is a great size for a mixed Malawi tank but a 55 is still good. Also your bumblebees are considered one of the most aggressive malawis from everyones personal opinions and experience.

Wow good to know! Thank you! Picking up a 60 gallon and gonna trade in the bumblebees ;)

ttrichey said:
Wow good to know! Thank you! Picking up a 60 gallon and gonna trade in the bumblebees ;)

Research research and more research is about all you can do. Most of us order online because of the lack of Cichlids they sell in stores. This link should help you get started on some of your research and questions http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

Places to buy from online are in this thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/this-is-where-to-buy-cichlids-online-224030.html

So when I bought my assortment of baby cichlids I ended up with an orange one??? Any ideas it is 2.5 inches and has similar body shape as my labs

Could be a number of cichlids. With mbuna they are all so closely related that with out proper identification from the breedings then there is no guarantee on what you have. With that said my money would be on maybe a female or young male johanni being that it came from a big name chain.

Aceis are on the lower end of the agression. Also they mainly are herbivorous. In the wild they usually only use algae on sunken wood as their food choice. Beautiful fish tho IMO and in my experiences they swim at all levels in the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom