The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil marriott

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to the site, found reading through the threads very interesting, I have a 250l tank that's been running for about 4 weeks now. I only have 2 oranda's in there now as I had a black Moor and 7 zebra fish also but the zebra fish seemed to gang up on the black moor and he eventually died. I have removed the zebra fish as I don't want them to kill my other 2 oranda, the one already looks not very active hope he is ok. I had my water tested at the shop before putting fish in the tank do you think I should buy a kit to test it myself?? Any advise would be much appreciated in advance

Hi and welcome to AA.

Since your tank is only 4 weeks old, you wouldn't be cycled yet. Unless you're using "seeded" bio media from an established tank?

Goldfish are known to be messy fish and have a huge bioload, meaning toxic ammonia levels would rise fairly quickly. You do have the benefit of a large tank so that would at least allow an extended time before ammonia gets to dangerous levels. You should invest in a good liquid test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates so you can know when its time to do partial water changes. Once your tank develops the necessary beneficial bacteria to complete the cycle, then you'll be able to do less frequent partial water changes .

You should read this article about fish-in cycling.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Thank you for the reply, the tank came with bio balls, hi grade activated carbon and ceramic bio rings I have already done a 40% water change when do you think ill be ready to add more fish to my tank? There is no rush as I want to make sure my oranda are ok and the water is ok first.

Well that's good that the tank came with bio balls and ceramic rings, these provide the porous surface to house the beneficial bacteria. This beneficial bacteria is something that takes time to develop. You can "seed" the filter with established bio media from a friend's aquarium or something to speed up the process.

Please read the article I linked to. It's important that you understand the nitrogen cycle. This is an indicator of when you can even add more fish. This is also, most likely, why your goldfish died and why the other one doesn't look so active.

Here's the link again:
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

The Nitrogen Cycle Slideshow - YouTube

How to Cycle a Fish Tank - Oscarfishlover.com

Thank you took a while to get throug but some very interesting information, what is the best testing kit to buy? I have seen lots on e bay am I better to get strips or a full kit??

I use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Its one of the most accepted and respected test kit in this hobby. The test strips have been known to be inaccurate.

Thank you Brian I have ordered the api master test kit. Thank you for all you help and advise I have grown quite close to these oranda they have a lovely temperament I hope they will be ok in my tank.

Where do you live? Just curious because you referred to the size if your tank in liters instead of gallons.

Anyway, if you can get a product called Tetra Safe Start or Dr. Tim's One and only, this will expedite the cycle process and make it safe faster for your fish.

Live in uk. The young people in the local aquarium shops don't seem to be very knowledgeable and I very foolishly took their advise on buying fish. What will happen when I need to do a full water change do I remove the fish from the tank and drain completely. How do I get the right balance of water after a water change will all the bacteria I need already be in my filtration system??

Back
Top Bottom