Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just make sure you do some research on the fish and don't impulse buy. LFS's don't always give good advice!!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank do you have?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Just make sure you do some research on the fish and don't impulse buy. LFS's don't always give good advice!!
Oh I've prolly put in about 40hrs doing research about fish and tanks but still feel stressed as I don't want to kill fish...I really like dwarf gourami...but I don't have any plants (save for the moss balls)
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
What size tank do you have?
37gallon.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest starting a new thread and ask for advice on stock. Get a rough idea on what fish you would like. Add these to the thread and people will give you advice on fish that are compatible and suit your tank size. The key to a happy healthy tank is to take your time. Don't rush in and don't feel forced by the LFS to buy certain fish, or products. You can always get info on certain fish when your at the store, just use your phone. I would strongly suggest getting your own liquid test kit. Relying on the LFS to test your water is not always the best thing. API make a great master test kit. You WILL make mistakes, everyone does. It's learning from them that's the key. You have a world of info on here and many many very experienced people who know what they are talking about. Use them, they will gladly help and they have no vested interest(trying to sell!!)....
I am not trying to bash LFS's, it's just that some offer crazy advice that ends up turning new aquaists away from this great hobby(addiction). You do have of course many LFS, who offer brilliant advice too!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I would suggest starting a new thread and ask for advice on stock. Get a rough idea on what fish you would like. Add these to the thread and people will give you advice on fish that are compatible and suit your tank size. The key to a happy healthy tank is to take your time. Don't rush in and don't feel forced by the LFS to buy certain fish, or products. You can always get info on certain fish when your at the store, just use your phone. I would strongly suggest getting your own liquid test kit. Relying on the LFS to test your water is not always the best thing. API make a great master test kit. You WILL make mistakes, everyone does. It's learning from them that's the key. You have a world of info on here and many many very experienced people who know what they are talking about. Use them, they will gladly help and they have no vested interest(trying to sell!!)....
I am not trying to bash LFS's, it's just that some offer crazy advice that ends up turning new aquaists away from this great hobby(addiction). You do have of course many LFS, who offer brilliant advice too!!!
Thank you! I saw the master kit and was intimidated by it a little. I will look into it again...beats driving 15 miles every 2 days to soothe my mind.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyApril83 View Post
Thank you! I saw the master kit and was intimidated by it a little. I will look into it again...beats driving 15 miles every 2 days to soothe my mind.
Don't be intimidated, they are easy to use. Don't even bother with the test strips, not very accurate......
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Go to amazon to buy your test kit. It's 15$ vs the $35 at LFS. I just got two powder blue dwarf Gouramis yesterday. We don't have any live plants. Our Thicklip Gouramis are doing fantastic with out live plants in our 45.

Powder blue dwarf in 29 gallon
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130723_072343.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	187825

Thicklip in 45 gallon
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-07-23-07-26-06_1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	187829
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy318 View Post
Go to amazon to buy your test kit. It's 15$ vs the $35 at LFS. I just got two powder blue dwarf Gouramis yesterday. We don't have any live plants. Our Thicklip Gouramis are doing fantastic with out live plants in our 45.

Powder blue dwarf in 29 gallon

Thicklip in 45 gallon
Oh I will check amazon right now! Thank you and that powder blue little guy is awesome!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Don't be intimidated, they are easy to use. Don't even bother with the test strips, not very accurate......
Yeah I was realizing that when I asked for the numbers and they looked at me like I was dumb. "your tank is good" me "well what is good" they are gonna start calling me the crazy fish lady ha

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com