The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lockert81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would just like to say a big hello to everyone and say what a great forum this is. Ive been visiting for about a week getting tips and knowledge from random reading and have liked what ive seen so decided to join.

Yes. I have a 26 gallon (uk) tropical tank been up and running for just over 2 months. I started with a fish in cycle as didnt know better. I now have 4 guppies 4 mollies (2 silver 2 black) 10 neon tetra and a gourmie but not really sure which type of gourmie it is

Wow sounds nice! Got any pics ;)

I think you are good on fish, you need some bottom feeders! Like Cory cats or kuhli loaches (my favorite \-o-/)
How are your water parameters?

Ive got afew pictures but not sure how to get them onto here from my phone. Yes definitely getting some bottom feeders just trying to decide what, ive got my eye on a blue shrimp but dont trust the fish shop its in. Amonioa was abit high so been doing water changes every other day but everything alse was good

Oh to upload pics, you click the little plus sign on the top that you see when you are typing in a reply
Do you have a master test kit?

Yes brought a master test kit on sunday as got fed up with taking water samples down to the fish shop every week. Going to do the tests once a week, is that enough?

ForumRunner_20130725_213257.jpg

Wow, nice tank!

Are those live plants?
Yea, I do weekly water changes in my 29 gallon I do a 34.4827586% weekly water change, but since you are trying to bring down the ammonia, I would do a 50% water change weekly

Thats a very precise water change you do! No live plants didnt even know where to start with them. Would of recommend getting some? And what are the benefits? was doing between 10 and 20% every other day then a big one at the weekends

Hmmmm, right now that sounds like a good water change
Out of 100, I would recommend plants 1,000,000, they are very beneficial! They lower ammonia, nitrites, and get rid of other substances! Plus they look spectacular
Of course, it is a little more costly
I am adding sand in my 29 gallon for the plants and bottom dwellers, that's 45 bucks!
I'm also adding root tabs and liquid ferts, I add 5 tabs at a time, so the tabs last me for six months!
10 dollars every six months isn't that bad!
And the big liquid feet bottle is 10 dollars also, I need a new bottle every three months
But live plants are totally worth it!

The price isn't bad at all. Will be looking into them more. Do you have to have sand for live plants or are they ok with gravel? as quite like the gravel we have in there

Sure plants will work in gravel, except carpet plants, if you want that beautiful carpet of grass or moss covering your floor, it won't work
Also I have seen that plants like sand better, but you can have them in gravel except for moss like x-mas moss or carpeting plants like dwarf hair grass
Also, you have to consider the lighting, I got my light for 12 bucks at petsmart

I can see a trip to the fish shop coming up at the weekend to have a look at the plants as never really taken much interest in them before

Wow really like the look of both of them. Anything tall and skinny you could recommend? I like the idea of having a plant that reaches the water line to provide a bit of shade

Back
Top Bottom