Newbie (:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura4Nick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
I'm new to the site, I've had my tropical fish for two years now and for the past few months the water has like a yellow almost tea color to it, I've been told that it's tannin in the water which has more than likely came out of my smallish piece of driftwood,
Was just wondering if anyone new a way to get the tank back to being clear? I know it'll take a while but was just after some tips and info if I could,
Thanks, Laura :)

Try putting Purigen in your filter? Also, how often do you do water changes & how much do you change?

We do a regular water change every week and it's always a 50% water change,
Would I just get that stuff from a pet shop?

Put carbon in your filter to take out the discoloration from the driftwood

I'm goin to get some tomorrow, hopefully it helps, all though we done a big water change last night and the water is looking clearer, but it'll probably be back tea coloured in a few days?

I'm goin to get some tomorrow, hopefully it helps, all though we done a big water change last night and the water is looking clearer, but it'll probably be back tea coloured in a few days?

Umm I'm not sure. All I can tell you is carbon is what is used to remove the tannis coloration from driftwood and such. Never actually had experience with it myself.

Ahk then, I'll get some carbon regardless cause having tea coloured water just looks horrible, I like to be able to see my fishies clearly lol

Yes haha. Then after that is all gone you can add purigen ( which is what the other guy was talking about ) if you so choose. Purigen just helps keep your water crystal clear! But is not needed.

That's something I didn't know about, I've asked about this on other fish sites and none have been this helpful, I'm still learning about all things fish, I'm slowly getting the hang of it :D

That's something I didn't know about, I've asked about this on other fish sites and none have been this helpful, I'm still learning about all things fish, I'm slowly getting the hang of it :D

I was there once too! Feel free to personal message me if you ever need something else answered. I'll try to help if I can :)

Purigen imho is way better than carbon, mainly because it doesn't need to be replaced nearly as often. It works great at clearing up your water and when it's exhausted all it needs is a soaking in bleach and it's good to use again.

I usually get my supplies from amazon. However if I'm buying a lot I go through petsolutions.com they have free shipping over $49 and their prices are pretty good

Back
Top Bottom