The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dust-off

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all! I just recently picked up my first tank. 90 gallons, it came with about 15 Cichlids. only 3 have survived the move after about a week. I did all water tests and the only bad test result was the water is hard(GH 411.7). any pointers on this? will it kill the last 3 of my fish friends? is it a bad idea to bring some red tail sharks into the tank this early?

thanks for any info

Welcome!

What are you readings for ammonia and nitrite?

I would not recommend combining red tailed sharks with African cichlids personally. I certainly would not add any more fish until you figure out what is going on the existing fish dying.

like I said all the test included in the "master test kit" were fine except for the hard water condition. everything is literally perfect otherwise.

I think I really pissed them off because as soon as they were moved I removed all the sand from the tank. all the ones that died were babies pretty much minus 2 of them. I think they were dying do to stress. the other 3 seem to be happy now opposed to yesterday.

I should also mention there were like 200-300 babies that had just hatched and zero of them survived.

Did nitrates also read 0? If so, not good. Ammonia should be 0, nitrites 0, and nothing over 20ppm of nitrates.

no. the 3 remaing fish are older. one is about 4" and the other 2 smeller ones are about 2 ". I was not looking for these fish but they came with the aquarium so im trying to keep them. I don't know a thing about them other than the basic stuff found when searching google.

im going to do a test n nitrates right now so I can tell for sure.

Back
Top Bottom