The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrpod

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody. I'm a twelve year old and have just got into all this. I am planning on doing a 29 gallon freshwater tank, and have started another topic on that. My only experience is having a gold fish when I was five and it died in a week, so I wouldn't consider myself experienced!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome to the hobby. My advice is go as big as you can afford and your parents will let you. Also like a lot of people myself included don't go crazy on stocking. You will find yourself doing water changes a lot.

Dude go as big as you can afford, this means keeping in mind costs for

Filter (bigger the better! For my 29 I use the penguin 350, water is crystal ?)
Heater (appropriate sizing pls, generally 3-5 watts per Gallon)

Lighting (depends on what you want, but generally comes with new tanks)

Tubes for water changes (everyone's setup is different but I bought 1" tubes from local hardware store and attached it to sink screw on and gravel vac)

Substrate (I would recommend sand, usually pool filter sand can be bought for under 15$ which is REALLY cheap)

Decoration (really depends on taste and fish, but I would recommend rock and driftwood)

Fish

Water conditioner (fluval is good)

Ammonia and starter bacteria (ask friend for a filter pad, and if you want beneficial bacteria products can be used to speed up cycling)

Food (pretty much anything these days is good, I personally use hikari tho)

============================
PLANTED ONLY

Live plants (start hardy, crypts, swords etc)

STRONG lighting (will be expensive)

Co2 machine (expensive as crap, and will need refill)
OR
Fluval flourish excel (a bottle that is liquid co2 for plants, what I personally use)

Hope this helps!!!

I know I'm constantly updating my "fish list" but here's another idea I had. Tell me if you think it would work or not.
Platies
Swordtails
Zebra danios
Honey gouramis
Bristlenose, rubberlipped, or clown pleco
Maybe a Cory cat
Some guppies

Only things I tend to stay away from are live bearers, and plecos, they are pretty boring and don't like them but that is my opinion

Well, if you do go with Cory's make sure you get at least 4-5 because ether like to shoal an will felled much less stressed than if you would with being alone or a two.

Nils

From your list I would pick either the danios or one type of live bearer. Imo plecs are poop machines ;) For the bottom I'd go with cories, but you definitely need at group.

Plecos are huge poop machines but very beautiful. I have 3 a common which I advise against I have to rehome mine (they get huge) albino BN and a candy stripe. If you do get a pleco make sure it is a algae eating pleco. I would go with BN or something of the same size.

Plecos are huge poop machines but very beautiful. I have 3 a common which I advise against I have to rehome mine (they get huge) albino BN and a candy stripe. If you do get a pleco make sure it is a algae eating pleco. I would go with BN or something of the same size.

I agree, I love plecs and have kept a variety in the past. I would just be concerned about water quality in a 29g with someone new to the hobby.

One BN or other small pleco shouldn't throw it off to bad as long as he has a good bio system and maintains his water. But I am one to talk with a overstocked tank

Any other stocking ideas? I haven't even started cycling yet so take your time. Just can't wait to get some fishes!!

Back
Top Bottom