The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpAceGiRl94

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I'm new. I have an approximately 10 gallon tank with a single common "feeder" goldfish (he or she is approximately an inch long and was gifted to me unexpectedly). I do plan to upgrade said fish (named Lucky by my five year old) to a large pond filled with other common goldfish at my parents house - but its winter and I don't want to shock the poor fellow so said fish has got to wait in my 10 gallon until the weather warms up. I'm hoping once he or she is transferred then I can get some fiddler crabs or african drawf frogs into the tank instead. More about my tank? I have a penguin biowheel model 150 filter - purchased to keep up with the goldfish bio load so the poor guy can at least have a decent water quality while we wait for summer. I'm not sure what type of tank I have due to it being donated to me. Basically just looking at general advice on keeping said goldfish alive until summer, transporting him an hour to my parents, and then getting new creatures that will actually be happy in a 10 gallon. I'm considering more of crabs or frogs due to it being a small tank but I also am wanting to get a larger tank at some point so I get fish. So basically general advice.

Attachments

• 15436910684051910882501127153856.jpg
    15436910684051910882501127153856.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 63
Hello all,

I'm new. I have an approximately 10 gallon tank with a single common "feeder" goldfish (he or she is approximately an inch long and was gifted to me unexpectedly). I do plan to upgrade said fish (named Lucky by my five year old) to a large pond filled with other common goldfish at my parents house - but its winter and I don't want to shock the poor fellow so said fish has got to wait in my 10 gallon until the weather warms up. I'm hoping once he or she is transferred then I can get some fiddler crabs or african drawf frogs into the tank instead. More about my tank? I have a penguin biowheel model 150 filter - purchased to keep up with the goldfish bio load so the poor guy can at least have a decent water quality while we wait for summer. I'm not sure what type of tank I have due to it being donated to me. Basically just looking at general advice on keeping said goldfish alive until summer, transporting him an hour to my parents, and then getting new creatures that will actually be happy in a 10 gallon. I'm considering more of crabs or frogs due to it being a small tank but I also am wanting to get a larger tank at some point so I get fish. So basically general advice.
If youre interested in crustaceans check out neocaridina shrimp, they are fresh water and come in a bunch of colors and styles. Theyre real small and you can have up to 10 per gallon but i had an accidental breed operation that got me over 300 shrimps in my 10 gallon planted so the number varies on your set up. The fun thing about them is they are initially kind of expensive at ~$5 a pop along with good substrate and plants but your local fish store should give you store credit on about a dollar per. That will pay for any future tanks youd like and they are SUPER easy to breed. I got $1.50/shrimp once i started getting good at it and i got a ~$380 set up for time spent with my pets that i enjoy

Waterutalknbout- I'll look into those. Thanks

Autumn sky- I'm trying to save him. He is definitely more active.

One thing I did forget to mention - he came to me in a tiny (probably) 3.5 or 5 gallon tank. It's possible I could put the shrimp into that one since it is partially cycled. I was also considering a Betta fish since everytime I go to Walmart they look so sad in their little containers and I want to take them all home with me to be rescued. But... I also don't want to put them into a bad tank situation, even though I have good intentions. Nor do I want to encourage the essential abuse that Walmart puts their fish through. Thoughts?

If you are willing to do 50% water changes every 2-3 days and you are willing to test the water frequently then I'd say you could keep the Betta in the smaller tank. Essentially doing a fish in cycle.

Back
Top Bottom