Newbie and I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelsie W

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve always had 10 gallon tanks usually in my boys bedroom or mine but I was giving a 75 gallon tank and it was in rough condition I scraped off all the old silicone and put new on hundred percent silicone no additives for mildew preventative or anything like that it doesn’t look the prettiest but it it looks pretty good for my first time but there’s one little spot I’m worried about I let it dry for days before I filled it up halfway. What do you guys think ??

Attachments

• 2D53B097-6E42-4124-86AF-2E524EAD6700.jpg
    2D53B097-6E42-4124-86AF-2E524EAD6700.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 68
I’ve always had 10 gallon tanks usually in my boys bedroom or mine but I was giving a 75 gallon tank and it was in rough condition I scraped off all the old silicone and put new on hundred percent silicone no additives for mildew preventative or anything like that it doesn’t look the prettiest but it it looks pretty good for my first time but there’s one little spot I’m worried about I let it dry for days before I filled it up halfway. What do you guys think ??
To me, the tank looks fine. Fill it little by little aand if no leaks are found, you're in good shape.

To me, the tank looks fine. Fill it little by little aand if no leaks are found, you're in good shape.

A tip when applying silicone ,first put on line of silicone then put some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray over it and then rub in the silicone the soapy water stops the silicone sticking where you dont want it to

A tip when applying silicone ,first put on line of silicone then put some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray over it and then rub in the silicone the soapy water stops the silicone sticking where you dont want it to
The spot you're talking about looks a little rough, but seems to be holding water well. You haven't had any leaks have you? As far as it looking rough, it looks like it's in a spot where it can be hidden and not really that bad anyway. The spray soap solution is really a good trick for keeping silicone from sticking where you don't want it...but NEVER in a fish tank. As a matter of fact you should never use soap or detergent of any kind on anything associated with an aquarium. Even small traces of unrinced soap is toxic to fish. Bleach can be used and so can vinager as they rince away completely. If you meed something to scour with, salt makes a good scouring powder that's safe.

Start adding your decorations. Looks like it's sealed under that little booboo. You can just trim it off make it flush with the rest. It's holding water. Think you'll be fine. And as far as using soap to caulk a tank. Um... No, I'd say that the soap could get trapped in the silicone and be toxic to your fish. Your silicone would still be wet when doing that. But as far as using soap to wash a tank, I do. But I only us dawn original blue dish soap. And I rinse very well. Welcome to the bigger tank world. What kinda fish are you getting? Can't wait to see it all set up. Love seeing 75g set ups. They are a "just right Size" to me. Love Mine!

Start adding your decorations. Looks like it's sealed under that little booboo. You can just trim it off make it flush with the rest. It's holding water. Think you'll be fine. And as far as using soap to caulk a tank. Um... No, I'd say that the soap could get trapped in the silicone and be toxic to your fish. Your silicone would still be wet when doing that. But as far as using soap to wash a tank, I do. But I only us dawn original blue dish soap. And I rinse very well. Welcome to the bigger tank world. What kinda fish are you getting? Can't wait to see it all set up. Love seeing 75g set ups. They are a "just right Size" to me. Love Mine!
I've been following your posts and recommendations for so long now. I know you use Dawn and have known for awhile. And that's great that you manage to get away with, but it cracks me up knowing that when you're so cautious about using "chemicals" in an aquarium for some treatments. I enjoy reading your replies. They are useful. But I feel like you and swoop are just so anti-drjallen3 somtimes. Lol

We are all friends here on A.A. what works for one hobbyist may not work for the next. Sorry, Doc I'd just rather use what works for me. Bleach is not on my list like it is to others. Same goes for my soap with others that would rather use bleach. It works for them. I'd just rather not. There's no "anti" in anything I say. It's just what I do, or think. I try not to disagree with people. I just throw my 2 cents in as if it mattered. Lol! That's all. [emoji8] [emoji4] Lol!

We are all friends here on A.A. what works for one hobbyist may not work for the next. Sorry, Doc I'd just rather use what works for me. Bleach is not on my list like it is to others. Same goes for my soap with others that would rather use bleach. It works for them. I'd just rather not. There's no "anti" in anything I say. It's just what I do, or think. I try not to disagree with people. I just throw my 2 cents in as if it mattered. Lol! That's all. [emoji8] [emoji4] Lol!
I was taking the chance to take a dig at you and swoop. It's all in fun...but no soap for aquariums!!!! Lol [emoji13]

Lol! Thought you were one of those comedians. No wonder we get along. [emoji39]
Your right. I try to keep a good sense of humor, but I keep my cognitive abilities serious when it comes to helping others with aquarium issues. Separated my breeding pair of Angels today from community tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom