Newbie (Auqeon 29 Gallon Deluxe Kit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClownLover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi to Everyone in this forum! As you can tell with my title is says it all. I've wanted to build a saltwater tank for years. The last time I had one was when I was little kid. I had some clown fish for a couple months then they died. Back then we did'nt have much help forums to find out what is needed for saltwater fish. I've just got a new tank from Petco it is a Auqeon 29 Gallon Deluxe Kit and I would like to make it a saltwater tank. I'm guesing the filter that it came with is not something recommended for saltware tanks. I came on this forum to get help on starting my saltwater tank. Although I've read about cycling the tank, test kits, coral, water conditioners, salt, filters, fish, etc. I'd like to find out what is the cheapest way to get my tank started while making sure I keep my fish alive :fish1:. I'd appreciate some help and tips on what to buy first for this tank. Thanks in advance. :)

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! I ordere the same kit as you on amazon except it came shattered, lol just a little connection :).

Hope you were able to return it. By the way how much did pay for the kit if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'm new to the forum do you know of any persons experienced with starting a new 29 gallon tank?

Thanks for the info. I've been checking some of the threads. Glad to see this forum is active. I'm from Hawaii and you would think there would be more help here seeing that we are on an island with saltwater fish everwhere. I tried searching hawaii forums haven't seen much activity since 2009. There aren't any clubs I can find either. We have alot of fish on the island but I try to buy them at local pet stores (to help their businesses). I'll be setting up my tank shortly this week. Hope to get more help here on the forum.

ClownLover said:
Thanks for the info. I've been checking some of the threads. Glad to see this forum is active. I'm from Hawaii and you would think there would be more help here seeing that we are on an island with saltwater fish everwhere. I tried searching hawaii forums haven't seen much activity since 2009. There aren't any clubs I can find either. We have alot of fish on the island but I try to buy them at local pet stores (to help their businesses). I'll be setting up my tank shortly this week. Hope to get more help here on the forum.

Awesome! I love Hawaii. It seems that there have been more Hawaii members lately. If you had a sw tank, you could catch the catch the fish yourself!!

Sorry this reply is late, had to do some birthday planning for the family. I haven't run into any Hawaii members on the forum yet. Maybe I'll run into someone soon. I do have a SW tank but have hesitated from introducing open sea fish with my store bought fish. I don't what to contaminate my tank. I did see a little spotted puffer fish on the reef a month ago and thought about going back and finding and catching it again.

By the way, my tank has been up and running for 2 weeks now. I cycled tank for 1 week and tested fine. I added 2 clownfish (false percula's), 1 damsel yellow, 1 damsel blue. I started with a maroon percula but couldn't find it a partner, I have isolated him from the other 2 clownfish because I was told they don't get along. I put him in with the others now and then but I'm trying to hand him off to someone else. I'd like to return him to Petco, we'll see what happens.

That seems like a lot of fish for a tank that just finished its cycle. Make sure you test often in the beginning to make sure the bio filter can keep up, you wouldn't want a crash. As far as the clown fish go, maroon fish are some of the most agressive ones. If you can sell him back or find someone to take him that would be best. If he hasn't already he will probably start bullying the other ones.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom