newbie...completely out of her depth!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emma.b

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there

I'm a complete novice to own fish. If I'm honest I thought I could just buy a tank and stick in a goldfish or 2! Apparently not.

OK so here's the story. I've wanted a aquarium for a while but I've never had the best of luck with fish, probably because of the above reason :-( anyway I ended up buying a starter kit from pets at home. (19 liter tank and filter) I set that up added the dechlorinator and left it all running for 3 days. I've since purchased my fish - 2 little platy fish and at the same time purchased at decoration for the tank. I washed the decoration in just hot water added to the tank then introduced the fish.

Now the water seems to have gone a clouded colour :-/ I'm not sure if it's the decoration or could it be from the water in the bag I brought the fish home in?

Either way what do I do to protect my fishes? Xx

Hi there

I'm a complete novice to own fish. If I'm honest I thought I could just buy a tank and stick in a goldfish or 2! Apparently not.

OK so here's the story. I've wanted a aquarium for a while but I've never had the best of luck with fish, probably because of the above reason :-( anyway I ended up buying a starter kit from pets at home. (19 liter tank and filter) I set that up added the dechlorinator and left it all running for 3 days. I've since purchased my fish - 2 little platy fish and at the same time purchased at decoration for the tank. I washed the decoration in just hot water added to the tank then introduced the fish.

Now the water seems to have gone a clouded colour :-/ I'm not sure if it's the decoration or could it be from the water in the bag I brought the fish home in?

Either way what do I do to protect my fishes? Xx

Well, first issue would be the fish. 19 liters equals about 5 gallons, for platies you'd ideally want a minimum of ten gallons, ideally 20. I'd return them if you could and look at fish more suitable for your tank.

You'll need to cycle your tank as well. While you can do this with fish in it...often times it ends up hurting the fish and is a lot more work than doing a fishless cycle. There are plenty of guides online and on here to fishless and fish-in cycling. Basically what you're doing is building up the bacteria colony that can transform toxic fish waste (ammonia) into not so toxic nitrates. This process usually takes about a month, if you can ask for seeding material from your pet store and one of their tanks it could speed the process up quite a bit.

When introducing fish, you'll want to acclimate them to your water. Again, guides can be found all over the internet and on here for acclimating fish. You never want to pour the pet store's water into your tank because you never know how nasty that water may be and what you may be introducing to your tank.

So, first step would be returning the platies. Second would be researching cycling and while you're doing that look at fish for 5 gallon tanks. Common choices would be a betta, micro rasboras, White Cloud Mountain minnows, etc. Find one you like and make another post and people will be glad to tell you all about them. Good luck with the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm just pointing this out, a school of micro rasboras and some shrimp and plants would look great.

Well, first issue would be the fish. 19 liters equals about 5 gallons, for platies you'd ideally want a minimum of ten gallons, ideally 20. I'd return them if you could and look at fish more suitable for your tank.

You'll need to cycle your tank as well. While you can do this with fish in it...often times it ends up hurting the fish and is a lot more work than doing a fishless cycle. There are plenty of guides online and on here to fishless and fish-in cycling. Basically what you're doing is building up the bacteria colony that can transform toxic fish waste (ammonia) into not so toxic nitrates. This process usually takes about a month, if you can ask for seeding material from your pet store and one of their tanks it could speed the process up quite a bit.

When introducing fish, you'll want to acclimate them to your water. Again, guides can be found all over the internet and on here for acclimating fish. You never want to pour the pet store's water into your tank because you never know how nasty that water may be and what you may be introducing to your tank.

So, first step would be returning the platies. Second would be researching cycling and while you're doing that look at fish for 5 gallon tanks. Common choices would be a betta, micro rasboras, White Cloud Mountain minnows, etc. Find one you like and make another post and people will be glad to tell you all about them. Good luck with the tank.

+1 this is great info. There is a sticky in the Getting Started section of this forum that will tell you step by step how to cycle your tank. Once cycled, and with proper stocking, no more cloudy water and no more dead fish!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hello and welcome newbie emma.b.

The most important thing to do overall is to start reading about the care of your fish.

There is a link in my signature which will really help you.

Do you have a test kit, or can you take the water to the pet store and have them test it? A new aquarium is going to be fluctuating with the amounts of Ammonia that is created by the fish waste and food turning to ammonia and the BB if you had some would help convert that to NitrIte and then NitrAte. Called the nitrogen cycle. Also referred to as "cycle" the tank.

You have 2 basic options, return the fish and try a different option as in a "fishless" (as in no fish in the tank while you build your BB) cycle. Or keep them and get a test kit and do a hundred tests and water changes called a "fish in" (as in, fish in the tank) cycle.

Here is a helpful link for you.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

That all said, 2 Platies are not the best selection for a 19L, though 2 Goldfish are a horrific option.

You might think about a Betta for the 19L. Or if you like the Platy then maybe a larger tank a 20G long /75-76L would be better so they would have plenty of room to swim and you could get a few other fish.

As for the immediate I would do a 80% -90% water change and match the temp as best you can and always use dechlorinator and don't feed them today. Flake foods turn to ammonia very quickly.

If you can get Prime water conditioner that would be the best. It helps neutralize the water of ammonia, nitrate and nitrate poisoning.

Edit - I see you have already been offered good advice! I am too slow!

Last edited:
His all

Thanks for the replies some very useful tips :)

As far as taking the fish back I can't see it being an option although I will be asking when I go to the store tomorrow. So I'm stuck with my little water babies!

I am looking at upgrading my tank though...but I have space/money restrictions. I have seen 2, 40lt and a 52lt not sure what that equates to in gallons? But I know it's better then the matchbox there in now. I've posted a link in the cold water getting started section on the forum. If you could swing by and take a look that would be great thanks.

Also what water treatments do you guys use when doing your water changes?

Thanks for the help :) xx

So I've just checked and the post about the tanks hasn't posted :-/ not sure what I did wrong any I'll pop the links on here and if anyone turns to my post could you take a look? Please
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=167&pf_id=67126&pg_id=0&page_id=1&sp=&mscssid=47EJEWLJ7RXH8G6RQTCQLQ3NWTHJ8LN4

Or this one
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=167&pf_id=57627

I know one is bigger than the other but will I be sacrificing the quality of the lighting/heating/filter?

Xxx

Honestly, with fish tanks, bigger is always better. It's easier to maintain a larger tank- everything is more stable. I would go with the 54 liter. I'm certain the lighting between kits doesnt matter- the only significant factor for lighting is plants but I don't think either kit has enough lighting to support plants. The heater and filter appear to be about the same.

I'd go with the 54 liter. As you said, the biggest you can manage is always the better bet. Also, the 40 doesn't come with a heater and relies on the light to heat the tank. At least with the 54 you get a heater to regulate water temperature more precisely and I'm a fan of LED lights because I think they look nicer and they take less energy.

54 liters is about 15 gallons, so it'll be a nice little upgrade for the platies.

Thank you for the replies :) so I'm going to be going for the 52lt. Bigger is better. I would like to be able to sustain plants though, I've read the platies enjoy a nibble and like to hid in the foliage. What type of light would I need, don't want any fancy plants just something suitable for my platies and low maintenance. Suggestions anyone?? Xxx

Upgrades are great, but a problem for me since my mom says no more tanks above 20 gallons. I am planning on someday getting another 10 and a 20. By then I will have no more aquarium room other than some small Betta tanks.

I dont know if the lights you have can support any plants, but I think stuff like java moss and java fern is best for low light situations.

Do you think I'd be able to add additional lighting to support plants? Xx

You could always change the fixture if it's leds. Though I believe you could support low light plants easily enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The lights seem to be built into the hood though, so replacing them would mean losing that black plastic hood if that were of any concern.

Back
Top Bottom