Newbie from Grangemouth, Scotland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandra Turpin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, my name is Sandra Turpin and I live in Grangemouth, Scotland. We have a 64 litre tank which is now ready for fish to be added. We patiently carried out a fishless cycle which we thought was never coming to an end.

Prior to getting fish we have done a large water change and have added sand instead of gravel as we will be getting some Sterbai in a few weeks. The water however is cloudy. Should we wait until the water clears and get our first fish tomorrow (two Bolivian Rams) or would it be ok to get them this afternoon?

We are planning on getting 6 Emperor Tetra and 5 Sterbai along with a couple of Apple Snails as tank mates for the rams, not all at once though.

Welcome! Sorry, sometimes it takes a while to get replies, there's a lot of people to help! Hmm, as for stocking, that's only about 15 gallons. I wouldn't do two rams in there, because they really need more of a 15 gallon minimum for each. You could do the cories... But that might be pushing it, and I'd bump up your tetra population to 6. So maybe this:
6 emperor tetra
4 sterbai cories
1 Bolivian ram

Also, I'd add the tetras first, since they're the least sensitive (and expensive), then wait 2 weeks, add the cories, 2 more weeks, and add the ram.

The chances are no one saw this post. It's very rare for someone on AA to pass up a chance to help someone. So your cycles done? Posting some pictures, water parameters, etc will help!

Yes, also... What test kit are you using? The API master kit is the best one out there, and it's accuracy is worth the extra cash.

Thanks all for your replies :). Unfortunately we already got our two Bolivian Rams today along with two apple snails. Our LFS said that was ok. We cycled our tank using waterlife biomature and tested using the API Master Test Kit.

We washed the sand as best as we could. We put the sand into a basin and added cold water then poured out the water. Did that 6-8 times I think so hopefully it was clean enough.

We bought another two plants today also.

I never knew it was going to be so complicated :)

Okay. Never Listen to the LFS. Lol. You cannot cycle a tank with some bacteria that you buy. You need to give it time. Read home dogs article in her signature. (On the app so I'm not sure if it's there or not) Your best Bet is to bring the rams back to the fish store and ask for your money back.

We have been cycling the tank for weeks without fish. The cycle is complete now.

We used this Biomature which has ammonia in it. We tested the water every night until both ammonia and nitrites were 0ppm. Before getting the fish we did a large water change.

Sandra Turpin said:
We have been cycling the tank for weeks without fish. The cycle is complete now.

We used this Biomature which has ammonia in it. We tested the water every night until both ammonia and nitrites were 0ppm. Before getting the fish we did a large water change.

Oh. Lol. Sorry. I thought you meant you just poured the stuff in the tank and that was it. Good job! :)

That's ok lol, I thought that's you thought. It was a long arduous process which I thought was never coming to an end lol

Hi Sandra. The link to the product you posted is very interesting. I've never heard it mentioned beofre, let alone the idea that a company mentions fishless cycling. Thanks for that info, I'll have to check it out in future.

Back
Top Bottom