Newbie from Malaysia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hahaha...dOnt get me wrOng..i meant cleaner shrimp for my tank...not raw shrimp...okay then...btw, i have this in mind...if i plan to put live coral, do i have to use chemical for coral or there is other way in nature besides use chemical...??? just asking for more info in future...anyway, thanx for your guidance...

Coral is all about cool water, water movement and lights. Of course you need clean water that is low in nitrates but light is one of the most important things in keeping corals. You don't need any chemicals. what chemicals are you thinking about?

Last edited:
owh...at my LFS they show me this kind of bottle that said some nutrients need for coral...they said i need that if i have live corals in my DT..since my DT is FOWLR only, then i dont buy it...when i have fish in my tank, probably im planning towards live corals...
p/s : sorry about the chemicals word....

Not all fish get along with corals. You have to do your research on the fishes or corals that you buy. Some fish eat corals, some will constantly knock them over. So you have to decide what you want. The only supplements you would need is if you have lots of SPS (small poylp spieces) corals and only much later on. Remember to add nothing to your tank that you can't test for. and then only slowly!!!

yup...already made those research on corals..thanx thincat....just need info's on that..right now my target is FOWLR tank...hahaha...patience is important in this hobby...thanx for everything...

Let me know if you run into any problems as I am more then willing to help you.

okay...maybe there is no probs at all right now as im doing the water cycle process..btw..,besides using refractometer is there any other equip that i can use..?? im sure that hydrometer is inaccurate..even my LFS dont use refractometer...(the store that i always go):LOL:
from my reading here, im in a process of build another tank for QT..then i believe that refractometer is MUST HAVE for my QT..

Thanx...

hello everyone..im a Maldivian and a die hard fan of aquariums...ive been thinking about making a saltwater aquarium for so long since i completed my open water course..as i hear that before starting an aquarium you should have full knowledge about it..so i keep doing my researches and watching clips on youtube as well..so i would like to know morw about the basics..and it would be a great if you guys can get me through..
btw im still at ground zero level...
thanx

hello cythos...welcome to AA...me here also a newbie in this hobby...so, have u done your reading and research...??? in this sites, there is lots of articles for a beginner...read it if u not yet read it...explore everything here and then u may ask questions and let the expert answer it for u (not me )....:D

cythos, that's great information that abdhalim has given you, read read read then you can ask the Q's that you don't understand.

juz to update...after 3 days of water cycle, my ammonia level now 1...the fish food still can be seen..maybe need another week...

It will happen fast...soon you will see 0 ammonia and your nitrites will start to raise, then your nitrite will fall to 0 and you will see your nitrate raise... all is on track...
Don't add anymore fishfood....

Mr thincat...i would like to ask you, is there any minimum period for water cycle coz i read one article stated that the best period is let the tank and LR cycle itself for about 3 month...how long did u cycle your tank at first place..??

Thanx in advance...

Okay, if you have alot of cured LR you could have a fast cycle, The only true way to tell when your cycle is over it to test your water. There is no set time for a tank to cycle, every tank is different and only by testing your water parameters can you tell if your tank has cycled and is ready for animal life.

okay thanx for that info...im planning to buy LR for my DT today....btw, im changing my DT from 29g to 20g...my 29g tank had been set up for FW...so its suppose to be nano tank right..??anyway, thanx in advance....

update....

okay i bought this 6.5kg cured LR chose by my lil bro from LFS..already put the LR inside the DT and its look a lil pack because of the LR size..when i put this LR in the DT, there is a little black crab inside the LR came out..for a few minutes the crab looks okay and after that its not moving..maybe its going to die soon...my questions, is it because of my water made the crab became like that..??i dont even knw if its was in there...pity lil crabby..
btw, can i buy turbo snails to clean up my tank now even the water cycle not done yet..??

thanx in advance...

I would wait up on the turbos and let your water age a little. You will start to see all kinds of neat animals coming out of that lr. Crabs aren't the best thing to have in your DT. Keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Here's a good link to hitch hikers.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html

Back
Top Bottom