Newbie from the Bronx

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I'm Jonathan, a total newbie, I just set up a tank for a hobby to pursue with my son G, who is 5.5 years old. He's allergic to anything with fur, so this is an attempt to give him a pet experience and teach him some responsibility and a bit more science that I originally realized.

I bought a starter 37g tank from Petsmart, their Topfin brand, that came with a 200w heater, a powerfilter 40, and some sample conditioners and food. I added a master test kit and a Python, an air compressor with an airstone and a bubble wall, some plastic plants, live plants, ornaments for fish hiding spots and lastly G chose a SpongeBob Pineapple undersea dwelling!

I already got the good advice of buying the biggest tank I could afford / carry, getting a Python and a master test kit.

Looking forward to trying a fishless cycle and learning more from everyone here.

Thanks.

So where in the Bronx are you? I was born & raised in Throggs Neck. What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

jonnyep said:
Hi All,

I'm Jonathan, a total newbie, I just set up a tank for a hobby to pursue with my son G, who is 5.5 years old. He's allergic to anything with fur, so this is an attempt to give him a pet experience and teach him some responsibility and a bit more science that I originally realized.

I bought a starter 37g tank from Petsmart, their Topfin brand, that came with a 200w heater, a powerfilter 40, and some sample conditioners and food. I added a master test kit and a Python, an air compressor with an airstone and a bubble wall, some plastic plants, live plants, ornaments for fish hiding spots and lastly G chose a SpongeBob Pineapple undersea dwelling!

I already got the good advice of buying the biggest tank I could afford / carry, getting a Python and a master test kit.

Looking forward to trying a fishless cycle and learning more from everyone here.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Welcome and if you need anything, just ask. The only thing we can't help with is the addiction you may get with this site and aquariums. Unless enabling is help.

So where in the Bronx are you? I was born & raised in Throggs Neck. What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

I'm in Riverdale, which people in the rest of the Bronx sometimes say "that's not the bronx!" and some people here write "Riverdale, NY" as their return address. You can't win!

Little G has expressed interest in Platies, because we read a fish magazine as a bedtime story and they had an article on the joy of Platies. He's intrigued by the Tuxedo stripped ones.

jonnyep said:
I'm in Riverdale, which people in the rest of the Bronx sometimes say "that's not the bronx!" and some people here write "Riverdale, NY" as their return address. You can't win!

Little G has expressed interest in Platies, because we read a fish magazine as a bedtime story and they had an article on the joy of Platies. He's intrigued by the Tuxedo stripped ones.

That's an awesome thing.

Back
Top Bottom