Newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone,
I'm really new to keeping recreational tanks and when i would look for advise online this site kept popping up so I decided that i'd join. I'm mainly looking to gain knowledge on the smaller freshwater tanks.

I currently have 2 tanks; a 2.5 gallon Betta tank, and a 10 gal tank with a couple of Oto and 6 Tetra (cardinal and neon). I've only had my 10 gal tank for a couple of weeks and have already had to deal with a fishy apocalypse that happened right after i added a piece of Mopani (I'm still not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but the PH dropped to 6.2 overnight from 7.4).

Well like i said i've had my disasters but from here on out i just want to gain knowledge about the proper way to care of my aquatic buddies. I look forward to learning and helping anyone when possible!

Hi there, Skywhitney, and welcome to AA! :welcome: About the mopani wood....Did you do anything to treat it before putting it in your tank? I have a piece myself, and from everything I have read about it, a pH drop is to be expected. Some people even use it to moderate alkalotic tap water. My tap water is pretty high (8.2 to 8.6) so I am hoping it will bring it down a litte, but you need to do a substantial amount of pretreating of it before putting it in your tank, unless you like the blackwater look in your tank, which many do. If you look on the live aquaria site for mopani DW, you will find various instructions on how to treat it. Hope this helps....And welcome, again.

Welcome aboard. Hopefully you will find the answers you are looking for. Lots of knowledgable people here.

starquest said:
Hi there, Skywhitney, and welcome to AA! :welcome: About the mopani wood....Did you do anything to treat it before putting it in your tank? I have a piece myself, and from everything I have read about it, a pH drop is to be expected. Some people even use it to moderate alkalotic tap water. My tap water is pretty high (8.2 to 8.6) so I am hoping it will bring it down a litte, but you need to do a substantial amount of pretreating of it before putting it in your tank, unless you like the blackwater look in your tank, which many do. If you look on the live aquaria site for mopani DW, you will find various instructions on how to treat it. Hope this helps....And welcome, again.

Other than a real thurough rinse and scrub i didn't do anything to it. I've since taken it out and boiled it quite a few times. I finally put it back into the tank and left it alone for a few days then tested the water before putting any fish back in there. They've been in there for about a week now and everyone seems to be doing great!

Back
Top Bottom