newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriendly94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone i joined this site to get advice on my aquarium that i just got. my dad had an aquarium when i was a kid and i thought it would be cool to get one.i already have bette in a one galon mini tank. i recently got a ten gallon tank and now have three cory cats one of which is a panda cory and the other two i believe are spotted corys.ialso have two male guppys.i originally didn't want any females so they would not mate.however I've been reading online how easy it is to breed guppies and was curious to see if i could do it for some easy money. so my first question is do i need a seperate tank to breed them in.

Hi welcome :)

I've found guppies will breed in an old water-filled shoe on the side of the road. :) If you can get 2fm to one male that will reduce stress on the fm's.

For growing out fry another tank is useful. Not sure if you can make much money from them.

I will probably get another tank for the fry. what would happen if i put a combtail betta in with the community . would he kill them all.:ermm:

Yeah the Cory's need a bigger tank, but if it is just temporary you may be ok . Actually, the fry will be ok alone. You could get snails or shrimp to do cleanup.

Right now my 10g has 3 cories and 2 male guppies. the cories are 2 at 1 inch and 1 at1/2 inch i know they will get 2-3 inches. can i add 4 female guppies.

No more Cory's for that tank. Maybe six female and two males with the catfish. Find a fish store willing to trade in guppies. I used to rotate adult guppies with young adults to keep the cycle going. With my 55, I once traded in 100 pair of guppies. I traded them in for a Marineland Emperor filter and 1 huge canister of Tetramin. I got a lot of equipment and food for free. I now live way out In the sticks so the drive to the LFS is too long.

I have had historically 3-4 catfish in a 10 gallon with success as a newbie some 40 years ago. Now, I'm a less is more person. Just cool it with the cats for now.

Back
Top Bottom