Newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roboto87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there, I'm Luke and I've just started my hobby with my tiny tank and lovely 4 platies. I'm now looking to upgrade my tank, currently I have a 13L tank with a built in filter system and light from Pets at home. I have 4 very happy platies, but due to rubbish advice when I first started over a month and a half ago - I lost 2 minnows in the start up/ cycle process.

I'm enjoying so much learning about all this and above all keeping my fish happy that I'm wanting to get a bigger tank as I know x4 platies in a 13L tank is a push... So wondering what the best options are? I was looking at the BioOrbs 30L tank? Is this a good tank? Also - when I cycle the new tank can I use the filter sponges from my old one to up the bacteria? How long is a cycle usually? I've read 2 weeks?

Also I currently do not have a heater with these lot and they seems to be fine at 24-26degrees C. If I get a bigger tank and other fish - I'm assuming a heater would be advisable?

Looking forward to becoming an active member and I'm enjoying learning! I've attached some pictures of my Platies and tank :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398361024.508136.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398361039.536415.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398361054.118845.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398361129.688427.jpg

I the biorb should do well its a very nice looking tank. You can use the old filter sponge that is one of the best things to do really. 2 weeks for a cycled tank is minimum, maximum would be 4 weeks so if you buy a test kit then you will know when you can get your fish. You don't need a heater in the biorb but if you have one then it allows you to have lots more fish. Very nice fish and hope my advice helps.

Thank you @tomtom14 for the quick and insightful response. I was wondering - with a new tank cycle, the sponges probably won't fit in the bioorb so what would be the best way to transfer the bacteria over? Could I just squeeze out the sponge in the new tank? Is it that simple? Do you advise doing a live fish cycle too? Or will bacteria/ testing suffice... I don't want to really risk killing a fish... Really appreciate your advice :)

The good bacteria in the old sponge just needs to get in the tank. So even if it doesn't fit in the filter compartment then you can just leave it in the tank for about 2 weeks. It may not look good but it will do the job . I wouldn't recommend cycling with fish as this could harm them. But using the old filter sponge you could probably add fish in about 4 days. You could leave it a week if you really wanted to play safe. Have you got a test kit? This will really help telling what the tank is doing.

Welcome to AA! :) The current tank looks really neat! I like it. As for the cycle, I think you will find that using bacteria from the current tank will really speed up the cycle process (not always, but usually). Hope it goes well!

Back
Top Bottom