Newbie here, and need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soulfish74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought this tank years ago from a friend, (20 gallon), I finally wanted to get it set up, I have a ton of house plants, and have a green thumb, and was really interested in a live tank. I'm pretty impatient and tend to just do it, so here is what I did, I bought play sand from Lowe's, as well as pebbles as well, rinsed both really well, put in the tank and let sit for a week, looked great. So today, I was ready, went and grabbed a few lava rocks some grass of some sort and a few plants, and 9 fish, can't remember the names of any, lol, my question is, what is my next move? Temperature? lighting? food? what have I done wrong? what will I eventually need, I learn pretty quick, but the store I go too, is pretty busy, and they talk quick, and want to sell, so this is where, I'd like to learn as I go, thanks!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 37
Welcome to the community!

You will need to get your tank and filter cycled.

Refer to the link for getting started below in my signature. Read through and check out some of the other articles as well.

What you are doing is a "fish-in" cycle where you try to grow BB aka Beneficial bacteria which uses the ammonia and breaks it down to a substance (ammonium) that NitrIte can use which ends up being made into Nitrates which become harmless to fish after futher BB activity.

Also referred to as the Nitrification Cycle.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

READ and research!

What kind of fish?

thanks for the read, and response, I'll be back soon with questions:)

Back
Top Bottom