Newbie here...Take it easy on me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andreaey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!!

My name is Andrea and I am about to get a 3 gallon tank going. Some friends of mine have a gorgeous 110g aquarium and they are going to be my salt water mentors. I'm never one to jump into something new without doing my research, and luckily I found this site! I am a member of a few other sites on different topics that are set up just like this one, so I know the wealth of information I can find on here!

Welcome to the site! You came to the right place for good advice! I'll let the salties take over from here as I am a freshie! :)

I'm a freshy too, but lots of peeps here who know their poop.

Even doing a search on a word you come up with a lot of good info you might not need at the moment but store away in the old brain cells for later use.

Plus usually get a fast answer when you post a question.

Welcome aboard. Three gallons is pretty small. There wont be much you can put in there. I dont even think you`ll be able to have a fish in there.

Welcome aboard. Three gallons is pretty small. There wont be much you can put in there. I dont even think you`ll be able to have a fish in there.

I was told that I could have one. Is that not correct?

walmart sells 10 gallon tanks pretty cheap. I wouldn't think of starting with less because of water quality issues. the smaller it is, the harder it is. i know, i know that's reverse logic, but its true.

ive always read that a 30 is like a minimum but then again im somewhat a newbie also. I started with a 55 and its been not nearly as bad as people say. good luck your in the right place

First, welcome to AA! Believe it or not, bigger tanks are easier to keep water parameters stable in, whether it be salt or fresh water. Your choices of what you can keep in your tank would greatly increase with an increase in size.

I wouldn't put a fish in a 3g. You can get away with more fish, space, less top offs, and easier water maintenance in a 10.

If you like the 3, by all means go for it! But as everyone before me has said, the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. :)

So I went to the fish store to buy water and sand to get things rolling, and I ended up walking out with the water, the sand and live rock for a 12.5 gallon! :D

I listened to all of your advice and upgraded before I even started. It looks awesome already, just with the rock, lol. I'm going today to get the rest of my supplies... About to do more research on here before I head out.

Any advice??

Back
Top Bottom