Newbie!!! Hey everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deMelo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, just finished setting up my tank about a month and half ago, currently I have

x8 neon tetras
X1 female guppy plus 3 babies
X7 ghost shrimp
X2 zebra snails

The tank
X3 plants
X2 peaces of drift wood
Air pump
50 gallon filter
100w heater

The tank is
20 gallon 30"wide

Witch other community fish would you guys recommend?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414031772.281344.jpg

Also if you guys think I should change my aquarium setup let me know, any ideas ore feedback are much appreciated

Hi there and welcome!
Well, you should set up your tank the way you like it to start with... Your tank, your ideas!

Some swordtails would look nice in that tank as well...

Thank you so much for the info... How many do you think I can get?

I was also looking into getting some zebra danios
I have a old orange Danio alone, feel bad for the guy lol

Zebra danios are great fish. Specifically when they're schooling in a group of about 10. Which would fit perfectly in that tank of yours. It's quite spacey in there...

Oh yeah, when it comes to swordtails I would put 3 in there. They're profilic fish and before you know it, the tank is loaded with fry. You could put more in there if you'd choose dwarf swordtails (xiphophorus pygmaeus).

Your tank looks great. Do you keep your water level that low on a regular basis? I would keep it just below where the water comes out of your power filter to reduce the stress on the filter pump. :) it's a little less noisy that way too.

Sent from my iPhone.

You should ask yourself what you would like to keep in your own tank. And if you already know that, than it's time to wonder if they're compatible with your exsisting fish.

Quick question
I want to change my gravel to black sand what's the best way??

Thanks for that tip
I was not sure how full the thank could be! Great advice

First I just want to compliment you on how well your first fish tank has been set up. You clearly did research before hand which is so sadly and surprisingly rare.

Personally, I would add a pair of ram cichlids, or a school of corydoras catfish, or maybe a pair or trio of apistos. Nice fish that add a lot of color and personality to a small tank :)

Also, you should look into a sponge filter! It's a really simple filter that runs off of an air pump, so you're already half way to having one; they're also really cheap! They're really good for biofiltration, and you may find them INCREDIBLY useful in future situations such as:

-Medications that damage the biofilter: you can remove the sponge filter and keep it running in even a tiny tank, just feed it with ammonia and then add it back into the tank to keep you biofilter strong.

-Setting up a new tank: Prettymuch instant cycling!

-If you set up a quarantine tank: You'll always have a seeded filter ready to quarantine new fish.

-In a power outage: You can operate the filter and keep water flowing by blowing into the air tubing! (Yes, I have done this before....)

-Fish fry: Sponge filters won't suck up newborn fry

Great advice I'm going to get one when I pick up the new sand!! Any advice how to replace my gravel to black sand whit out harming my fish?

Great advice I'm going to get one when I pick up the new sand!! Any advice how to replace my gravel to black sand whit out harming my fish?

I would just remove the fish to another small container (with the airstone), do a big water change, but before adding water back put the clean sand in, and then add the water and then put the fish back. Keep an eye on water quality as removing the gravel is removing one of the larger sources of beneficial bacteria.

As long as your fish aren't in the smaller container for too long, they should be just fine.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
Should i put the water were the fish is back into to the tank?

Looks really nice.

Your fish will be most fun to watch as you raise the numbers of each type of fish. Danios are especially fun to watch in large schools.

Ghost shrimp will help clean, I'd get more of them. And I don't have cories, but Otos. Otos are more delicate and need to be added later, but they clean algae really well.

Aquadvisor ... I think it's now AqAdvisor.com ... Will help keep you in healthy bounds. It's a stocking calculator.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom