Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cool Newbie in the House

Hi there... so a brief introduction:

I'm Sharmie. My purpose for joining is because my little aquarium has suddenly gained its first fry and I am at a complete loss.

My first aquarium was years ago when my ex step-daughter 'gave me' her fish to take care of. I bought two others as companions and they all lived with me for about three years and then all died for reasons I am not sure of. Their deaths bothered me and I didn't get another tank until I moved to the UK and someone gave me an angel fish as a wedding gift. My new husband pulled out his small apprx 9 gallon tank and 'Dunny' became a permanent resident for the next few years. I then added two corys as non-edible company.

When Dunny died at 7-years-old, I added two more corys and bought some neons. Then my husband decided he wanted a red crab. The crab was fine for months and then it shed its shell and grew. After that, it developed an appetite for neons and started attacking the corys. I took it back and got more neons

One cory died and then one disappeared while I was in away in the USA (my mother-in-law who was taking care of them said she didn't recall seeing a third cory in there). So down to two corys and neons.

Recently, my husband wanted an Axolotl. I got it despite my concerns. I also got a few more neons (stupid I know), which all died within a day of hitting the tank. Then my existing neons began to disappear. I have one left.

Now, for the main reason I joined: When I lowered the tank temp for the Axolotl, my cories began to breed. Three times I've found eggs and now we have about 15 fry. The fish guy told me to put them in a breeder net, but that was a big mistake on several levels and I lost a lot of fry because of it. I transferred the survivors into a home-made container that is basically a plastic canister with a sucker holding it to the side of the tank. It is positioned high enough that the corys can't jump in and we keep it aerated by pouring water in it a few times a day and doing regular water changes. I don't know if that is sufficient, but the fry seem to be growing.

Anyway, that's my story. I like aquariums, but have never done more than kept a couple of fish. But, as they mostly haved died of old age until recently, I guess I've been doing okay until now.

My hope is to buy a bigger tank soon. But I still don't know how I am going to handle the fry with the Axolotl. She doesn't bother the adult corys at all, but I wouldn't trust her with babies.

Anyway, that's the fish background on me. Other than that, I am a freelance writer, native Texan living in England, and I love PC gaming (mostly RPG), reading fantasy and sci-fi, and watching movies. (Oh, and I am addicted to Glee, but don't tell anyone.)

Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

I'm impressed that you were able to keep an angel alive in a 9g for so long. That's way too small of a tank for an angel.

That axolotl will continue to eat your fish and it's exposed gills are prime targets for fin-nippers. You'd be best off with separating it into it's own tank. That way you could put your cory fry in the tank with the adults.

If you hang around here much, you'll soon discover that no aquarium is big enough and you can never have too many.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Welcome to AA!

I'm impressed that you were able to keep an angel alive in a 9g for so long. That's way too small of a tank for an angel.

That axolotl will continue to eat your fish and it's exposed gills are prime targets for fin-nippers. You'd be best off with separating it into it's own tank. That way you could put your cory fry in the tank with the adults.

If you hang around here much, you'll soon discover that no aquarium is big enough and you can never have too many.

welcome, and +1 to the above statement! I have never heard of an Axolotl until this post and they look pretty awesome!

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

+5 to the no tank is bigg enuff ive been convinced to go from a 10g to a 30 gal more space more easy and more opratunities (doubt i spelt that right)
Old 06-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.

Tags
introduction, sharmie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com