newbie - intro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arachniac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I got a 29gallon tank 2 months ago. I let it cycle for 24 hours (per instructions that came with tank). After the "cycling" I got 3 tiger barbs, two clown barbs and 1 am pleco. The three tiger barbs promptly died within a week. I had my water tested at the lfs and it was fine. Only chems added were bacteria and prime. Added more fish and all are doing well, except my water is cloudy and my Nitrates and nitrites are off the chart. I did a 50% wc, added prime, and bacteria and put in a new filter. Also vacuumed the gravel. Retested the water today and Nitrates/nitrites are still sky high. Fish are very active and eatting well. No fish loses. I've been using mardel 5 in 1 test strips, plan to get a master test kit with my next check. For now should I just do 50% wcs everyday till I get the Nitrates/nitrites down? Thanks in advance! I want to do this right.

Welcome!
It wont hurt anything to do many water changes...I am not an expert on this though. I have never heard of putting fish in after only 24 hours though :/ And you added all them at one time?

U really need to get ur own api masterkit cuz the pet stores answer is always gonna be its fine now what fish could I grab for u... Wuts happening is ur tank wasn't cycled properly at this point if u can't take the fish back ur best option is daily water changes til ur test level out to 0 ammo 0 nitrite and traces of nitrate... ur best off reading one of the many cycle forums on here but the bacteria that ur adding is a bit controversial... most ppl prefer letting nature do its thing cuz the bacteria in a bottle isn't a stable bio filter

Also u can add small amounts of aquarium salt to help the fish handle the toxins in the water a lil better and feed a minimum until the nitrites r down but don't worry most ppl in this hobby started off making the same mistake due to no or false information from chain suppliers.. u found the best place to learn though so welcome to AA and good luck :)

Please read up on 'fish-in cycling'!!! Your tank is not cycled!!! Start immmediately doing 50% pwcs because your amm & nitrites are above zero. Retest after a 50% pwc. If they are still above zero, do another 50% pwc. Test again. You will probably have to do this couple of times to get your numbers down to zero. Make sure you are using a water conditioner (such as Seachem prime) with each pwc and that the temp of the new water is the same temp as your tank water. You will need to be viligant on daily water testing to check your numbers. Anytime the amm and/or nitrites are above zero, pwcs will be must to bring these numbers back to zero. Please keep asking questions!!!

Welcome to AA! Be sure to read the links that bruinsbro posted, letting your tank run for a day isn't cycling. Your levels may be sky high but test strips are very inaccurate. Liquid test kits are best.

Thanks for all the help. I got spring water today to do a 50% wc tomorrow. I'm going to get the API master testkit this week. I used a test strip today and ammonia was 0, nitrites were 0 and Nitrates were 40. Have been busy reading up on cycling today :p

arachniac said:
Thanks for all the help. I got spring water today to do a 50% wc tomorrow. I'm going to get the API master testkit this week. I used a test strip today and ammonia was 0, nitrites were 0 and Nitrates were 40. Have been busy reading up on cycling today :p

Good to hear.. the more educated u r the more fun this hobby can be...never hurts to read a couple books anyways.. u can never kno enough lol

:welcome:Hi there, and welcome to AA! Good for you, for reading the links. They will save your fishes lives, if you follow the advice. It saved my fish. I'm so glad I found this forum, and you will be too. But beware, fishkeeping is addictive. :fish2::fish2:

i would agree your tank was not completly cycled . to many lfs will sell you what ever you want even if they know the out come smh!! Id take it slow ...but it seems your getting the situation under control ..GOOD LUCK!!

Ok, so I did a 50% pwc did add seachem prime (even though the water was r/o bottled spring water). Tested water today. 0 ammonia, 0 no2 and 40 no3. Water is no longer cloudy (didnt add bacteria) and left in old filter. How can i get the no3 down? More pwcs? Add prime? Thanks in advance.

PWCs get rid of nitrates. It sounds like you're done cycling, also, if you didn't already know that so congrats!

Back
Top Bottom