newbie looking to set up inexpensive salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevep539

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new and looking to do a salt water tank on a budget, if this is possible. I am think of a bio cube or something along that line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

The thing is, it's very hard to pull off saltwater on a budget. If you can't do it now wait for later. Also salt is not for newer people. Btw, welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Salt water can be done on a budget I set one up for my dad it's a 190 Litre tank.

It's runs a fluval 406 external filter and the standard internal filter that is it.

A powerhead to aid flow in the tank

He changes 25L of water every 2 weeks and has no issues at all so it can be done on a budget just stock according to filtration.

You will however struggle to keep any other corals ect softies as you will struggle with stability :)

Here is my dads :)

img_3291798_0_329fced3b3dbf0dcf05f523a093aa64b.jpg

It's been running over a year so proves it can be done on a budget just have to be selective on stocking :)

The GSP at top is closed as light had been off and was turned on for picture :)

Salt water can be done on a budget I set one up for my dad it's a 190 Litre tank.

It's runs a fluval 406 external filter and the standard internal filter that is it.

A powerhead to aid flow in the tank

He changes 25L of water every 2 weeks and has no issues at all so it can be done on a budget just stock according to filtration.

You will however struggle to keep any other corals ect softies as you will struggle with stability :)

Here is my dads :)

img_3291812_0_329fced3b3dbf0dcf05f523a093aa64b.jpg

It's been running over a year so proves it can be done on a budget just have to be selective on stocking :)

The GSP at top is closed as light had been off and was turned on for picture :)

I've never set up one before and I looked into it but it was very expensive ranging into hundreds that I just didn't have that money. These can also be hard to maintain. If you are a beginner in saltwater then get a bigger tank because it's easier to maintain. There are 2 benefits to a larger aquarium. 1 easy to maintain and wider fish selection. 2 bigger tank:)

Btw beautiful tank!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a 10g going for about 4 months and finally threw my cards in and upped it to a 20g. 10g gave me terrible parameter swings.

If you are not willing to dish out a couple hundred then saltwater is not for you. Budget is obtainable but prices of salt and the initial cost are what gets most people.

Caleb

The main thing with a large system is stability which then gives you more scope to keep like SPS and LPS corals ect.

There is some stunning small tanks out there but they just keep to like mushrooms, zoas that sort of thing they don't mind the water being a bit more dirty so to speak and are more forgiving in paremeter swings you get that happen in a tank with SPS and you could easily end up with skeletons.

The secondhand market is always worth a look if funds are tight as there is some bargains to be had on forums as well as local adverts ect.

Back
Top Bottom