Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
nemodos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Santiago de la Ribera, Spain
Posts: 6
Send a message via Skype™ to nemodos
Newbie Member

Hi people,

found this site after searching the web. So, because it is the first time I´ve ever had an aquarium (my wife persuaded me) I thought it important to maybe find out a few things?

Must say though, our first fish, a lovely male betta, died after only two days.

Then after asking questions at our local shop, we bought Señor Nemo Dos, again a Betta male, who after only a few days, comes to the front glass to "say" hello, etc.

Now, we have a 20 liter tank, with heater at a constant 27C. BioBox pump and filters and a water stone to oxygenate the water.

We do a partial water change (about a liter) every three days, including washing the filters.

This all seems to be working fine BUT the water still coats the various bits with slime, this includes the decorative bits. We have some live plants and a couple of silk decorative ones, together with some stones and a rock with holes, to let him explore, etc.

So, does anybody know of a treatment to get rid of this slime without harming Señor Nemo, of course??

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
nemodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,553
Hi, welcome - did you have any luck with this?
__________________

__________________
Delapool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
nemodos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Santiago de la Ribera, Spain
Posts: 6
Send a message via Skype™ to nemodos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Hi, welcome - did you have any luck with this?
None at all. Yours is the only response I´ve had??
__________________
nemodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
GreenLily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 593
Welcome to AA!
Is the slime that you are talking about clear? If so, this is completely normal and can harbor good bacteria for the fish. Do you test the water parameters? If so, what are your most recent readings?
__________________
GreenLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
nemodos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Santiago de la Ribera, Spain
Posts: 6
Send a message via Skype™ to nemodos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLily View Post
Welcome to AA!
Is the slime that you are talking about clear? If so, this is completely normal and can harbor good bacteria for the fish. Do you test the water parameters? If so, what are your most recent readings?
Hi GreenLily,

thanks for replying. Yes, the slime is clear, so good news I guess!

I have some litmus type strips, very pricey. I am a learner but they show the pH to be spot on by comparison to the master but the rest confuses me slightly?

However, what I am doing must be sort of OK because Señor Nemo (Betta) seems very happy and greets us every morning with a display of chasing around with excitement, waiting for breakfast!!
__________________
nemodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
The slime is normal assuming you can't see it. It's just a biofilm that grows over everything.

One thing to point out, stop cleaning the filter. That is what is going to hold your beneficial bacteria and continuous cleaning of it can be detrimental to a cycling tank.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,553
Congrats on the betta Post pics when you get a chance!

So just in case, I've included a couple of links to fish-in cycling. The litmus strips can often be wrong compared to the liquid test, particularly I find for nitrite and nitrate and may not have an ammonia test which you want. I not sure if you have both litmus and liquid mast test kits (link below to the api one)? Post your readings if you want anyone to take a look.

Welcome to API Fishcare: Freshwater Master Test Kit



Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.
__________________
Delapool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
nemodos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Santiago de la Ribera, Spain
Posts: 6
Send a message via Skype™ to nemodos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The slime is normal assuming you can't see it. It's just a biofilm that grows over everything.

One thing to point out, stop cleaning the filter. That is what is going to hold your beneficial bacteria and continuous cleaning of it can be detrimental to a cycling tank.
I appreciate that comment re. the filter, Mebbid. I have the BioBox system and the manufacturer gives the times to change the filters, there are 3 in my kit.
I have been washing the filters but will cease in future.
__________________
nemodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodos View Post

I appreciate that comment re. the filter, Mebbid. I have the BioBox system and the manufacturer gives the times to change the filters, there are 3 in my kit.
I have been washing the filters but will cease in future.
Of course they tell you times to change the filters. That is the only way they will continue making money off of you. The only time you need to change the filter media is when it is literally disintegrating. Regardless of what any filter manufacturer is telling you.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
nemodos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Santiago de la Ribera, Spain
Posts: 6
Send a message via Skype™ to nemodos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Congrats on the betta Post pics when you get a chance!


So just in case, I've included a couple of links to fish-in cycling. The litmus strips can often be wrong compared to the liquid test, particularly I find for nitrite and nitrate and may not have an ammonia test which you want. I not sure if you have both litmus and liquid mast test kits (link below to the api one)? Post your readings if you want anyone to take a look.



Welcome to API Fishcare: Freshwater Master Test Kit



Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.
Post pics. Oh dear, can anyone advise the procedure please?
__________________

__________________
nemodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie, but no so newbie! Digger Member Introductions 8 02-19-2012 11:43 AM
Hi from newbie (new newbie) aveda6 Member Introductions 3 08-23-2010 03:21 AM
Oldie Newbie or Newbie Oldie! sushiray Member Introductions 4 07-18-2009 07:58 PM
Advice from a newbie to a newbie mdaniel2882 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 07-13-2009 09:21 PM
for newbie's from a newbie! labman Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 8 10-20-2005 10:11 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.