Newbie on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannymihm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey hey! Just looking to start my first tank. Have a 29g filled up and looking to start my fishless cycle. Going to pick up some ammonia and testing kits today to begin the process. Registered here to learn from the other members that have tips and tricks. Looking forward to my first build.

Good luck, What kind of tank are you thinking about doing? Do you have a particular fish your going to build your tank around?

Honestly I have no clue so far. I just want, for my first one, to be simple but have beautiful fish. Nothing specific that I am looking to put in it. Any suggestions?

Sorry ha. It is going to be a fresh water. Don't want to go too crazy yet as well. : )

I like mollies, very friendly lots of personality easy to care for, can be salt or freshwater if acclimated, have live babies so easy to breed.

German blue rams (a type of chiclid) A little more difficult to keep but very cool fish ( you have to maintain pretty good water parameters like ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph will need to be monitored and water changes will have to be done regularly).

Glo-Fish look cool.

Really anything you want. Most freshwater stuff is pretty easy. Just when you go to the fish store look first see what you like, get a couple ideas ask the people see what they say, then dont buy anything, come home research the fish you like then go buy if you still are interested. You'll have about 1-2 weeks for your tank to cycle so look into what fish would be good, and if your going to put different fish in there see whats compatible. I would find 1 "centerpiece" fish species and then kinda build the tank around that. I also like planted tanks with live plants. something to think about also, there are a lot of freshwater plants that dont need fancy lighting or anything. I have a couple freshwater and salt tanks so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. Will plan on doing what you said about looking at the fish then coming home to research and take it from there. I did pick up some ph and ammonia nh3 nh4 test kits to go along with the ammonia to start the cycling. Going to research now about how much to start adding (ammonia) for my 29g tank.

Back
Top Bottom